1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Distance?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Silvails52, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Silvails52

I had wanted to chat with this one guy I met on Facebook. We had been talking indirectly through a friend's status. I finally sent him a message, saying I wanted to talk to him. I eventually did, and we hit it off pretty well. After a few messages, he started flirting with me and I flirted back. Out of nowhere, my heart started to pound and my breathing got shallow. He said he felt the same way. He kept asking me if I was for real and if I was faking anything at all. I wasn't fake at all and he seemed to really like me. We chatted for a while, and I started to feel something strong for him. I know it was such a short time, but I felt so attracted to him and he seemed to feel the same. He wanted to say something, but didn't. I don't know. I used to think that I couldn't do any long-distance relationships, but there's something about him that makes me want to forget that. He's in Colorado right now and he seems genuinely interested in me. So my question is, should I go for it? Every time we talk, I just can't stop smiling. I wonder how well it would work. :help:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, on the one hand, long-distance relationships aren't that different from any others - they have their ups and downs, difficulties and happy times. It's very possible to receive - and give - emotional support from/to someone who doesn't live in the same city as you. And it can also, quite frankly, be an interesting way to expand your (dating) horizons - being in such close contact with a person from a different place can help you think differently about a lot of things and kick-start you into some different dreams and life goals than might otherwise naturally occur to you.

But, of course, the difficulties to long-distance can be a little numerous. To start with, I'm assuming that you aren't aspiring to keep it long-distance forever - in that case, what sorts of opportunities do you think you will have to visit each other, and how often? Are you okay with the relationship not being a physical one for (possibly a large) a majority of the time? How do you plan on staying in touch, and does that plan sound like something that will satisfy you for the indefinite future?

There really isn't a right answer to the situation - it's just a matter of what you, and he, are looking for in your lives right now. Just be clear about your expectations, voice any major fears or concerns you might have, and make the decision together.

3. Silvails52

I honestly don't know when we would be able to actually see each other. He is coming to the East Coast for Christmas later this year, but he won't be anywhere close to me. I really would like to have physical contact with him, but I'm starting to feel like it doesn't matter right now. We've been chatting on Facebook and I want to call him tomorrow afternoon or something. He seems really hopeful that something will pan out, and I can't help but feel the same.

4. Cloudbreaker

Do you have anything to lose by going for it?

5. Silvails52

No, not really. It's just that I would miss the physical contact. I love cuddling and hugging and I wouldn't be able to get that with him... But then again... there is something about him that makes me think it can wait...

6. Cloudbreaker

Well, if you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, then I say go for it. It may not be easy, but that doesn't mean it won't be worthwhile. And if it turns out that it doesn't work, for whatever reason, then at least you will know you gave it a try.