1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TyraBanksIsFierce, Jan 25, 2008.

1. TyraBanksIsFierce

I have the option to switch from a Christian School of about 450 students and no other gay people(that are out) to a public school with much more people(1000?) where I know of a few people that are gay there..Thing is that im not out yet and ive kind of settled into the christian school and made several friends, well I dont really like any of them( I havent really got a "best friend") but still :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Advice?

2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. Don't base your decision solely on your sexuality. Do you think that generally you'll benefit more from the new school? If so, then do it.

3. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Go public!

4. LorenzG1950

Go public. You will get a better objective education, exposure to the real world with a much better diversity of population, and probably better facilities and programs. Teachers are likely to be more open-minded and you can avoid the religious slant.

I made the decision to go public and had to fight my parents. I won and it was the best decision of my life (up until that time), graduated with honors in the top 2% of 1,000= students (gloats :astonished: ).

5. Jim1454

I don't want to assume that the Christian school you're going to isn't open, accepting, and objective... You didn't really have anything negative to say about it explicitly, but I'm assuming you wouldn't feel comfortable 'coming out' in that environment.

Nothing says you have to come out before you finish high school.

But if this is what is maybe keeping you from getting close to people and becoming 'best friends' (because you feel you're hiding a part of you from them) then perhaps you could switch schools.

Nobody says you have to be best friends with the people you go to school with though. If you know some of hte people in the public school, get in touch with them more often. Hang out with them on weekends. Maybe they'd even introduce you to some of the gay / lesbian students that they know...

6. Grantious

Hey,

personally i like private schools, i donno they just seem safer 2 me, my cousin goes to public school and its seems so much worse but maybe thats just me being a pussy lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    i know that was not much help :-(

catch

7. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    public vs private depends on your community. in the town i live in, my school is about 2000 kids and things are pretty chill, except when the redneck/emo showdown happened. public school gives you more exposure to different types of people, and a greater number of people, so if you were to make the move you would have to make sure you were ready to handle the change.

8. TyraBanksIsFierce

Yeah, most people at the christian school are either preps or nerds so...I'd probably fit in better at the other school, thanks!

9. Grantious

hey i'm not a nerd lol!!!!!!

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're going to be more comfortable at the public school and the education you'd get there is relatively comparable, then definitely switch because however good the education might be at the private school, feeling uncomfortable being yourself will hamper your efforts to learn.

If, however, the education at the private school is WAAAAY better than at the public school, you might want to consider staying.

11. TyraBanksIsFierce

No i meant most people are nerds or preps :icon_wink

oh and the education is pretty much the same. So I think i might go there, thanks

12. Grantious

ROFL dude i was just teasing ya :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Luv

13. Alexander

I'm preppy occasionally.. Does I has to go to a private skool? :tears:

14. Grof142007

Im Joining the Geek Sqaud woot

I say go Public

15. wherewulfe

well, take the good and bad from each side and weigh them

also, typically a catholic has a higher grade of education so in the long run it could be very benficial to you. though, if your unhappy, studies have shown that depression does lead to bad grades and a decrease in learning. I do go to a catholic school and trust me, there is atleast 42 gay people assuming the statistic is true, so just comb high and low and look for them.

though here is a warning, be VERY careful with who you come out to if you do, it could may just well ruin your life

16. Alex89

Where do you live? I know US private and public schools kind of have a larger gap between them than aussie schools.

I went to a christian private school, and loved it (and I'm not christian). One of my friends and another guy I know came out as gay there, and had absolutely no problems whatsoever - but then, it wasn't a catholic school. One of the teachers was Buddhist, so they were pretty fine with anyone. Public schools tend to be a bit more violent / druggy, because kids who've had behavioral problems can mostly only get into public schools as they're not restrictive...

Do whatever you feel is best! If you definitely have the option of moving, I'd be tempted to come out just to see if anything changes at school (meet new friends or make new enemies...), and if it goes badly just switch to the public school! =D Lol but that's just me...

17. Wired106

Hmm... Thats a hard decision. I got to a private high school with 1000 people, all boys. But I personally don't really like public schools too much, I use to go to one and they are way different from private schools. Atm I don't really have a best friend at my school, but my school is still alright. I actually thought about transferring many times, to like a public school, or a different private school but have decided to stay everytime. Unless something happens, I'm not sure if I'll leave my school and transfer. I think your better off staying in your private school UNLESS you know at least a few people at the other school, so you can fit in right away and it won't be awkward.

18. Alexander

Catholic opposed to public: You will probably have an anti-gay religion teacher. However, people will NOT be allowed to get away with bullying or giving you crap.

stay where you know is good.

19. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

Any school is preferrable to a school built around a theology.

20. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with The Music Man. You should switch for sure.