1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I ever have a boyfriend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AaronMusicLA, Aug 26, 2012.

1. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi I'm 15 and gay even though I'm not out I tell people who I don't know and Im getting really depressed as I don't think I'm pretty enough for a boyfriend I think I'm really ugly with dark circles acne awfull skin just a ugly face my skin looks so sick like I'm unhealthy but I really try to take care of it I hate my teeth too and I'm worried I will never have a boyfriend am I too ugly what do I do. Also I am closeted to people who know me

2. BudderMC

First off, you're 15! You have TONS of time to have a boyfriend, so don't stress over it! I'm 20 and I haven't dated yet, and I'm still not that worried.

Secondly, if you stop stressing, it'll probably help with some of your physical features. Things like acne and dark circles are linked to stress, as far as I know. All of the stuff you've listed though, physically I mean, is definitely "fixable" if that's what you're looking for. Just try out different products, or go see a doctor or dermatologist. Certain things work better for certain people. But of course, general hygiene rules still apply: showering every day, washing your face/hands, watching your diet, etc. Keep in mind that if you're 15 you're going through puberty, and well, more often than not people are unhappy with how they look during these changes. So don't sweat it; these things will clear as you get older.

And lastly, why aren't you out to anyone? It's going to be pretty difficult to find a boyfriend if nobody knows you like guys, right? Have you considered coming out to some people, maybe friends or family?

3. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not out becuase I think my
    Family would be angry

4. Neph

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Trust me, I know where you're coming from. It'll get better, sometimes teenage hormones can really screw you over for a few years. And like Budder said, don't stress out about it, it'll only make it worse.

5. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    really but do guys date guys with acne

6. BudderMC

^ that's like asking if guys date guys with big noses, or short hair, or brown eyes. And yes, they do. Everyone has preferences and you'll run into people who find it unattractive enough to make you not worth dating, but those people who'll judge you that quickly aren't the people you want to be dating anyways. But I wouldn't be worrying about dating yet if nobody even knows you're "on the market".

What makes you think your family would be angry with you being gay? Could you tell a friend instead?

7. Gen

Gen

Is it even possible to date a guy that has never had acne? None of us would stand a chance ( ;_; ).

Everyone has imperfections. Although I wouldnt recommend dating overly vain people, even they wouldnt care all that much about perfect skin. Its ok not to like your ance. No one does. Its ok to try and help it clear up, but you shouldnt be yourself down for it. Your a teenager, you're going to have pimples. They will go away, and it will get better.

Heres a motto when you analyze yourself in the mirror. If you would date a guy with your ance, or any other imperfection, if you can look passed his flaws, than there are plenty of guys out there will do the same for you. Dont worry so much (*hug*).

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Plenty of guys have acne, bad hair, they're too short/tall/heavy/skinny, or any of a million reasons. We're all our own worst critics, and particularly at your age, we assume that no one will like us for any of a hundred thousand reasons.

But a real, meaningful relationship is focused on who you are inside, not outside. The right person won't give a crap about something as inconsequential as acne because they'll see the real person inside. And besides... acne is temporary and a lot of people your age have it.

The first thing you need to do is believe in yourself. Understand that you're enough as you are, and that you're loveable and worthy of having a healthy relationship. That goes a long way toward changing your outlook, and, in turn, changing the way you view yourself has a big effect on people being attracted to you.

You're doing the totally right thing by talking about the issues, because that's how you learn to let go of them :slight_smile:

9. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This helped me so much thanks

---------- Post added 26th Aug 2012 at 07:37 PM ----------

This helped I'm on acne meds ATM btw

---------- Post added 26th Aug 2012 at 07:37 PM ----------

Thanks

---------- Post added 26th Aug 2012 at 07:38 PM ----------

I'm worried becuase I have sister and all that but I'm the only boy in fact the only boy in the family really so they will be dissapointed

10. BudderMC

Have they actually said anything to indicate that to you though? More often than not when we're closeted and thinking about telling people closest to us, it's really easy to let our mind wanders to the worst case scenario. I know it's hard, but take your fears and emotions out of it for a second and think as rationally as you can: what evidence do you have to believe to think they'd be really disappointed?

11. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well my mum does make comments about how I could have a girlfriend and I'm just like :L

12. Cloudbreaker

Like others have suggested, if you would consider dating someone like yourself, others will too.

I am also the only boy in my family (although I have four sisters). At one time I was also worried that my parents would be upset that I wouldn't be able to be "the family heir." Then I realized that even if I married a woman, there would be no guarantee that we would have had children anyway. And if I married a man, there was no guarantee that we wouldn't. I knew that my parents would love adopted grandchildren just as much as they would love biological ones. And passing on the family name never seemed as important as passing on the the family love.

Maybe a good place for you to start would be to ask your parents if they would like adopted grandchildren just as much as biological ones. It has nothing to do with your sexuality and is just something that would be interesting to know.

13. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I saw a guy today who I really thought was gay with a child on his own and i could tell he was gay really and I was like awahh but my mum. I would have to slip that one in slowly as she I think already questions my sexuality

14. RainDreamer

Well, she is saying that because she didn't know that you are gay yet. It is kind of strange for a mother, without any kind of evidence before, to think that her son is gay. So she is probably just assuming that you are just shy and you could have a girlfriend if you try.

Still, if you want to be sure, test the water with stories relating to the LGBT community, and see how she reacts.

As for your original question, the short answer is yes. The long answer is, yes, if you stop doubting yourself, stop denying oppotunities to shine and stop thinking that you will never get a boyfriend. There are all kind of wonderful people out there waiting for you, if you can only break out of your shell and decide to be the best you can be despite whatever stands in your way.

Remember, a person's worth is depending on how he or she lives, not what they look like on the outside.

Fight on!

15. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :slight_smile: hmmmm I will try bringing a lgbt story up and tell you what happens

16. Salazar

Clearasil pads. Bam. Better skin :slight_smile:

You have tons of I've to find a boyfriend! Just give it time!

17. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok

18. Salazar

But yeah, I want a boyfriend too :/

19. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i know its annoying to be alone all the time

20. BudderMC

Keep in mind that we live in a heteronormative society: one where the default is that everyone is "straight until proven gay" basically. Like someone else said, she's likely just indicating that you could have a girlfriend because she thinks you like girls but aren't confident enough to go for one.

All in all, I don't think what she's said indicates whether she's pro- or anti- LGBT, since it isn't really related to the topic. I think fishing for some opinions from them on LGBT stuff is a good idea. It'll help give you a sense of whether they'd accept you or not and might put your mind at ease a little bit.