1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wanna be a dancer but I can't

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AaronMusicLA, Aug 26, 2012.

1. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok well I'm firstly really sorry for posting this on here as its not really about being gay but I'm gay I'm 15 I'm
    Closeted and I want to be a singer but I know a lot about that already. the thing is I want to start dancing and I want to take hip hop classes but I don't think I am capable of becoming a good dancer I'm not flexible in any way at all and I really don't think I can dance. I watched some britney hip hop choreography on YouTube and they were just amazing and I suck im too scared of going to a class and embarrassing myself

2. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Its ok, just stretch on your own time if you want to get flexible. Look up some tutorials on youtube of stretching or yoga

Take a beginner's class, everyone else is terrified too, or use youtube tutorials as well at first if you are too scared to do that. If you are a visual learner, you can learn some basic steps off youtube tutorials, then film yourself and use the playback in the digital camera to fix your movements. That way you can learn to control your movements better.

Listen to lots of music and learn how to follow a beat. Learning about the basic structure of music (like how 4/4 rhythm works, etc), helps a TON more than you would think.

If you have any more questions, pm me. I am a dance instructor and aspiring to much more than that, and I started REALLY late (didn't set foot in a dance studio until I was 18). You can do it!

3. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im just really thin and they all look so muscley and in time I feel useless

4. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

lol its good to be thin.

All shapes and sizes can do hip hop. Are you interested in being a choreography style dancer or do you want to learn a street style like breaking or popping?

5. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really don't know a lot about but i want be able to do choreography made for me and maybe make my own one day I want to be at this point one day Matt Cady Choreography Britney Spears Til The World Ends Tour Submission - YouTube WATCH the YouTube video lol :slight_smile:

6. itsjoanna

Hey! Don't be discouraged. In that video, know that those people have probably been dancing for a while now.

Everyone has to start off somewhere! Go for it. My friend started to take dance classes when he was 17! And boy, he was SO stiff haha. He's an amazing dancer now :slight_smile: Start knowing rhythms and such, find a beginner choreo. Brittany choreos are usually really advanced.

7. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmmmm
    Maybe

8. Lad123

Don't worry about being thin. You're 15 and that is really young. The male dancers are like what, 25+? so of course they are going to be all muscles. If you take a look around, all the 15 year olds also don't have muscles. As you take up dance, its going to shape your body like those dancers you see on tv. Just go for it if thats what you want to do.

9. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :slight_smile: you think?

10. Lad123

Yes because dance is very intensive on the body. Depending on how much effort you put into practicing of course, its going to be knackering! Also, when you hit 16, you can join a gym to workout if you want those muscles faster.

11. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :wink: ok

12. Aldrick

You're looking at something that takes years to get good at. No one starts out that good, everything that requires skill takes some degree of practice.

I'm guilty of doing this all the time. It's part of my perfectionism that I'm trying to combat, and it's getting better.

If you want to dance, then dance. Sign up for lessons, and don't let your lack of experience frighten you. Every great dancer started out as inexperienced, and the only way they got better was taking that first step.

13. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yeah

14. AaronMusicLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How many hours a week do I need to dance

15. Aldrick

There are basically three things that are going to determine how good you are at dancing.

Talent, Knowledge, and Skill.

The truth of the matter is, there are simply going to be those who are much better at dancing than others - who find it more natural. That's talent. Of course, someone who doesn't focus on their talent isn't likely to develop the necessary skills and knowledge to use it to its full potential.

Knowledge when it comes to dancing is the various moves you can perform, likely learning more than one type of dance, learning about how the body moves, and ways to make your movements more fluid and in time with the song / beat / whatever. (Such as doing Yoga for stretching and flexibility.)

Skill is something you develop through practice. It's putting the knowledge you've gained and the talents you have into action. I've heard people toss around the idea that it'll take 10,000 hours to be considered one of the best at anything. The 10,000 hour rule is from Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers: The Story of Success.

So, how many hours do you have to dance before you can be considered one of the best in the world? As often and as frequently as possible.

However, rather than making the mistake of looking at some distant goal and feeling overwhelmed by all that it'll take to get there, focus instead on where you're at and the various steps you need to take. The first step is to sign up to take some dance lessons. The second step is to show up to those classes on time, motivated and prepared. The third step is to learn and practice what you're taught there. The fourth step is to find ways to increase your knowledge beyond your current teachers; look for books on dance and choreography, and study the moves of dancers that you admire and want to emulate.

Be honest about where you're skill level is currently at and focus on doing something that's challenging enough for you to push your boundaries, but isn't so challenging that you're doomed to fail. You want to start to do something that you can practice at and get better with; so that you can look back and realize that you are becoming better once you've mastered the move, rather than becoming discouraged because you're trying to do something way too hard for someone of your current skill. Likewise, if you aren't constantly challenging yourself to become better, you're never likely to actually get better - simply maintain your current level of skill.

Obviously, all of this applies to most everything in life - not just dancing.

16. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Like it's been said above me, it's worth a shot, besides, you will learn to dance, you're not going to practice already knowing everything, and that's the point of training.
    I danced for years when I was younger and I still like it. It takes time to get better at it but I'm sure that little by little you'll start seeing changes. So in the end I wouldn't really worry and try.

17. AaronLaMusic

AaronLaMusic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks . By the way empty closets stopped me from using my account for a month I didn't know you were not aloud to post links on here so I made a new one this is me who created this post

18. JJmerlin88

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't feel discouraged. I too thought I would be a TERRIBLE dancer when I started Tap and Jazz, it just takes practice and also BELIEVE in yourself... I thought I would be terrible at tap since i was really stiff same thing with jazz... but then after two weeks both my instructors told me that I was a natural since I got things easily....again all it takes is practice with your stretches and pay attention to every little detail that your instructor gives you because it will help you perfect moves making them stronger and show-worthy