1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denial

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Psychedelic Bookmarks, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I basically denied any feelings towards other girls until i was about 14. i found the thought pretty terrifying when i was younger. i always thought "it's good if you can be straight, because life is so much easier". then i would think, "good job i'm straight then...". i honestly thought i was straight, because i didn't mind going along with other girls in idolizing boys. but around my 14th birthday, i realised that i had strong lesbian urges. and now i feel really wierd. i mean, teeangers always feel like they're in transition and they don't know quite who they are... but sometimes i feel like i don't recognise myself at all. because for years i honestly thought i was straight, and now, i feel like i've opened the floodgates to something i was sure i didn't have to deal with. and it feels like i'm a different person from who i was during all those years in denial, which i know is wrong, but i can't help it. it makes me feel like i don't know myself.

has anybody else spent a significant proportion of time sure they knew their orientation, only to have the whole thing shaken up?

2. Alexander

Uhhh... like my entire life until about 2 years ago. I COMPLETELY thought I was straight. I even "dated" some girls (if middle school dating is dating). Then when I got further into puberty, I had no more interest in girls. Period. It's like I had a two-way switch in my brain and someone flipped it from the STRAIGHT to the GAY setting. I guess I finally had my revelation of who I was. After that (sometimes even now), I still get confused, but pretty much I'm in the clear about myself.

Want to talk about it some more -> pm me :slight_smile:

3. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I was in major denial from about 12 straight through until 23. During this time there was unconscious denial - in that I can say *I just really didn't know* - but there was also conscious denial - as in "I'm not gay I'm just confused/admire her/haven't met the right guy yet".

But yeah, kinda thought I was straight for about 11-12 years, but oscillated between conscious and unconscious denial. And discovering I was not straight was a HUGE SHOCK. Even though on some level I already knew it....oh denial....!!

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I slipped into denial at 13 years old when I started crushing on a girl in the year above. I passed it off as a 'phase'..typical I know, lol..well look at me now..gay all the way. :slight_smile:

5. VomAnderenUfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been in denial since a couple months ago, and I'm still discovering aspects of it. I find the extent of my denial to be unsettling. Why don't I like any guys? I haven't found the right one yet (I went years and years). Why am I always looking at other girls? Well, I'm just competitive like that. What are these infatuations with other women? I just admire them and want to be friends. Why aren't I interested in checking out pictures of random hot guys? My sexuality doesn't work that way; I'm into personality. But then why am I always looking at pictures of beautiful womem I don't even know? Cut it out, brain!

6. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too. I've been in denial for almost 10 years, until 6-8 months ago. And I was so deeply and so strongly denying my 'gay side' that it actually affected everything in my life and made it so...colourless, montone, if you know what I mean. I'm just glad that's over :grin:

7. Grantious

Hey,

I was in denial up till i was 15, thats when i could not deny it anymore but i've accepted it now :slight_smile:

Catch

8. acorn7

Oh yeah, definitely... I don't think I was even in denial at first, being gay was just not a possibility in my mind.

9. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was in denial from ages 11 to 13, trying to convince myself that it was a phase or that I could turn myself straight if I tried hard enough, but I finally accepted who I was shortly after.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in denial from age 15 to 20. Not a fun time.