1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School...I need advice =/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jonathan, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Jonathan

So at this point, I'm thinking about changing my major to elementary education from biology to become a middle school science teacher. Based upon AP credit, transfer credit and classes I've already taken, I pretty much have the first year already done. I also already have most of the gen eds out of the way, so that shouldn't be a problem with anything. However, I'd have to email the department to see exactly what I would have credit for and where I would fall. So changing my major would add about two years of time to how long I would need to be at college. Therefore, I would have to complete roughly three years of elementary education classes starting this spring, which would cause me to finish the degree about 1 1/2 years after my "senior" year. I emailed the financial aid office about my scholarships (transfer, about 6500 per semester and enrichment, 1000 per semester) and their initial response was to say that the scholarships can be extended for one additional year. I emailed back asking if it would be possible for me to apply for them after that (for a semester or two). Then they responded asking when I would complete the degree (which makes it seem like maybe I could get them longer than that one year). Then I responded with the scenario I explained above (saying I would finish a semester or two after that one year extended period)...and now they haven'responded to me yet (it's been a few days). If I knew about the financial aid, I would commit to switching majors now and drop the physics lecture/lab I am currently in because it would complete nothing of the classes I would need. I would stay in the other three classes though because they each fulfill something of teh gen eds. By doing this, I would also be able to return the unopened physics book and get my money back. The thing is, the first physics homework is due tonight at 11:59 and to do it, I would have to open the book to get the registration code for the online component (where the hw is). And if I use the online registration code, I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to return it. So if I did tonight's hw and then decided to switch majors, I would be basically wasting $250. So basically, I have to decide tonight what I want to do...but i don't have all of the essential information about my financial aid...so idk what to do. i tried calling the financial aid office today after class but the lady wasn't helpful at all. All she said was that I would have to file an appeal for the finanical aid and that she didnt know what would happen (so it appears that person who was answering my emails was better informed than the lady on teh phone). I need your opinion to help make this decision....

Should I do the hw and stay in my physics class until I have all the information?
    -This would be playing it safe just in case the financial aid thing ends up not working out.
    -It could end up be a waste of $250 dollars and a waste of my time.

Should I not do the hw and drop out of the physics class despite not having all the financal aid information?
    -This could be bad if the information I get states that I wont be able to apply for those scholarships again.
    -This would save me the money for the physics book.

I can maybe stay in the physics class and not do the homework...there are extra points built into the class so that you can drop some assignments...but this is the basic assignment that just gets you used to the format of the online component, so it would be insanely easy and a waste of a drop. Not to mention that it wouldn't buy me much time because the last day to drop a a class without a "W" is this Friday...

Help....:help:

2. blightedsight

Do the home work.

Wasting your time isn't really a factor, and $250 is a small price to pay for the safety net.