1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freaking out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LaplaceScramble, Aug 29, 2012.

1. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I just arrived and unpack at my new school across the continent and in a different country, and I've been looking forward to it for forever. It was difficult to convince my parents to let me come here. Now? I'm freaking the f*ck OUT!

I don't know what happened or what to do.

2. BudderMC

You're nervous and probably a little homesick. Not necessarily in the sense of you actually want to go back home, but you miss familiarity. Being off on your own in a totally different country is (I assume) a pretty scary thing, but also pretty exciting. And what you're feeling is totally normal. :slight_smile:

Try and look forward to the good things about being here. Do you have someone back home you could call/text/Skype/etc.? That might help give you a sense of comfort.

And if all else fails, maybe you could go to sleep and hope for a better day in the morning. I find that works for me when I'm feeling homesick. (though I don't know what time it is where you are...)

3. everett

(*hug*)
    Its okay lad! Yer a little homesick as the fellow said above. Yer also adjusting to new found freedom!
    What would you like to do, then do it!
    THE WORLD IS YER OYSTER LAD! TAKE IT! =D

4. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had the same thing when I got here on my own! I'm from Europe and I'm in the US for a semester. I walked into my room in here.. everything empty. I thought about my family back home and I just kinda freaked out, just like you. Lasted for a day or three, four.., then I got used to it, got to know people, made friends, and started partying! :thumbsup:

5. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I transferred here from another school, so it's not like being on my own freaks me out....but maybe so far away. And I'm in Nova Scotia, so however far ahead of you that is hah

I'm expecting the excitement to start any time now....but right now I just wanna run home and curl up in a ball....

6. FashionDisaster

I remember when I moved away and started going to my university.

Being so far away from family can be pretty scary at times. It really helped me to call and talk to them on a regular basis. Between cell phones and the internet you are not nearly as far away as the physical distance makes it seem. Since there is a time difference, it might be best to set up a specific time frame to try and call. That is if you haven't already done so.

Also don't forget, that your never more than a day or two of traveling away, at most, if you absolutely had to get home for some reason. Airports may be annoying, but they really have shrunk the world as far as traveling is concerned.

Hope either of those can help you through the next week while you settle in.

7. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I already lived on my own, too. I know what you mean. Don't worry, it'll go away :slight_smile:

8. Eleanor Rigby

I remember the feeling :slight_smile:
    When my dad left me in my new room, in my new college, 1800 km away from home, family, friends and my boyfriend... I cried my eyes out, even if going there was something I had wanted to do for years.
    Then, I settled down into my new life : I met people, made friends, went to my lectures, worked to the library, discovered the city... and enjoyed it !
    Of course I got homesick a lot of time, but I gave my family and my boyfriend phone calls, sent e-mails and I received e-mails, post-cards and packages filled with chocolates and love from my loved ones, it helped a lot.

Don't worry :slight_smile: Things looks scary for now but in no time, you'll have friends and will feel at home.
    Take care, (*hug*) Cécile

9. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it also didn't help that I hadn't met anyone, nor had I done anything other than move my stuff in. A girl met and helped came up to my room later with her new roommate, and just talking to people here helped. So I'm still a little freaked out, but not to the same degree.

10. BudderMC

^ good to hear! Keep forcing yourself to go out of your room and meet people and do things, and soon enough, you won't have to force yourself to do it anymore; you'll want to do it! :slight_smile: