1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offensive posters in the office

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kc1895, Aug 29, 2012.

1. kc1895

In my workplace, they recently moved a large cabinet next to my desk and my coworker (whom I'm out to) said that I should put a picture on it to cover the blank space. I said that I was going to put a picture of US Soccer star Abby Wambach on there. She laughed and said she would be "ok" with it, but other people might find it offensive. When I asked her how other people would find it "offensive" and if it would still be offensive to put David Beckham on there instead, she said that she doesn't know and that "some people might just find it offensive". What does she mean by that? Should I just not put up any celebrity pictures in the office cause it might offend somebody.. or is the expression of my sexuality offensive to some people? :dry:

2. Pain

Pain Guest

I really don't see how it would offend anyone... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's a picture of a soccer player... um...

3. BudderMC

I dunno, to me a celebrity doesn't seem like the type of thing to post in an office, even if it's your cubicle or something. I wouldn't call it "offensive" either personally... though I've never worked in an office before. :/

4. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed. I don't know what your coworker is insinuating, but I would say it isn't a good idea to put up pictures of celebrities or even athletes in your office/cubicle wall. The only thing that people usually post are family photos or photos of you with people who are close in your life...or even photos of your dog are okay, but celebrities...no. I guess it also depends on the type of workplace you're in though. I interned at a very casual office this summer, and one of my coworkers is obsessed with bull dogs. She has a huge bulldog calendar and like 20 photos of bulldogs printed off the internet posted along her cubicle walls. I know it's a bit extreme, but they have their own corporate culture at that office, and it's okay with them. So really, it just depends on what your office is like and what's acceptable decorum for your space.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If other people have sports celebrities up, then by all means. If most of the decor goes towards landscapes or kittens, I'd call it a toss-up. The only touchy part might be if you put up a player or team that someone else might dislike - a San Francisco Giants poster in Los Angeles might qualify. :slight_smile: But I doubt a female soccer player would be any issue - assuming she's clothed, of course. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Romi

I see where everyone is going in terms of keeping up a standard and professional decor in the workplace. As far as that is concerned, then yes, I might say that having Abby's picture up in poster form is a bit much. Kittens, puppies, families, and flowers all seem much more appropriate for an office space, as I've learned through years of experience.

However, if there doesn't seem to be a strict decor for your personal space there, and if it seems like others are embellishing their desk spaces with things outside of the "appropriate decor standard" then I am really wondering if it was a nudge at your sexuality.

Anyone who knows anything about sports or soccer, knows that Wambach is open and out. So before assuming anything, you can take a gander at everyone else's set up. If there seems to be a professional standard then I wouldn't even bother worrying over the bit about it being "offensive." But if it comes down to others having personal expressions of their interests and likes...then I might be a bit curious.