1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to a friend! I have mixed feelings though...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mikeyk733, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Mikeyk733

It happened last night while we were out. I just needed to get it off my chest. I have a bit of a crush on him, but I doubted anything beyond a friendship would ever happen. I tried to ask how he would feel if I was bi, and he said he wouldn't care, but may need time to get over it. So after hesitation, I eventually told him, and he was totally shocked. First friend I came out to, and he had all these questions to ask me.

I'm glad that he's cool with it, but on the other hand, I feel that things may change and not for the better. Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through, but I keep wondering how different he will act now, or how different I will act now. I am going to try my best to just act the same around him, and I hope he acts the same way too. I also feel that I now have official closure and can move on from any romantic/sexual feelings I've had from him. I hope he's able to keep this to himself until I'm ready to come out to more people.

2. Ianthe

He might withdraw for a little while to sort through his feelings about it, but it sounds like he'll be accepting. Don't assume the friendship is over or permanently damaged if he's distant for a little while.

Did you ask him to keep it to himself? Was it obvious that you would want him to? Does he know he's the first person you ever told?

EDIT: Oh, and congratulations on coming out!

3. Mikeyk733

Thanks. Yea, I did ask him to keep it to himself and he figured that anyway.

4. Ianthe

I'm sure he'll do it, then.

Actually, it sounds like he took it better than he even thought he would. So that's great!

If things are awkward, it will be at least as much that you feel awkward about it as anything he does--at least, that's how it was for me with my friends when I first came out.