1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

metaphorical ray of light?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crimsonarcher, Jan 25, 2008.

1. crimsonarcher

Ok, with the recent death of Heath Ledger, my dad, seeming just a little homophobic, said that he'd want to watch Brokeback Mountain.....? He talks how he thinks gays are a failure, yet he wants to watch that movie? I knwo he wasn't joking either. This is a little odd, but all for the better: I think that coming out might not be bad after all, but i can't be too cocky about this. What should I think?

2. TriBi

Re: metaphorical ray of light?>

Can you watch it with him and see how he reacts? Might give you a better idea...

3. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I agree with TriBi - I think that you should watch with him (if you could bear it and you don't think it would cause you to come out prematurely should he not like it) - that way you can gauge his reaction, and figure out exactly *why* he wants to watch it. But even if you don't watch it with him - I'd wait until he's watched it. Good luck!

4. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He is hopefully starting to accept other sexual orientations. I agree with Tribi that you should watch it with him, or at the very least you should test his reactions to the movie.

I have found that those who appear as a "little homophobic" tend to be accepting when they are involved in a serious situation. It is so easy for somebody to go "ewww gay" infront of whoever because the scenario is some emotionless for them. It is only when they are put into a serious situation that they cannot resort to the little homophobic jab because they know the person they say it to will be affected by what they say. I have heard lots of times of people making similar comments when a gay couple appear on TV, but that is there way of kind of defusing an awkard situation. If they are presented with a similar real-life scenario you will probably find that they act very differently and much more civil. Maybe not straight away, but eventually they do. :slight_smile:

5. wherewulfe

watch it with him but you got two possibilities i can see

possibility A) it could just be him paying respects to Heath since it was an EXCELLENT movie

possibility B) the death of heath may have changed his views

6. Alexander

Sounds like it could be either way. Just be cautious not to rush it.