1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Year's day miracle?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crimsonarcher, Jan 25, 2008.

1. crimsonarcher

I meant to write this way earlier, but i didn't!

Ok, before new year's day, it was about 11:30 Pm, when the news came up about a law that would impede most chances of gays getting married. During this short preview, my straight uncle said aloud:

" Why do people worry so much about that? Just let them marry if they actually have love for each other! besides, there are more important things to worry about that just this!"

I think he may accept it, and then my aunt started to talk about this story about a lesbian in her hometown, and afterwards my dad said, "That's a whole other issue".

I know that my uncle and aunt might accept, but that comment made by dad only made me feel a tad bit down. what does he mean by a whole other issue?

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could mean anything. We could make guesses at what he meant, but we could end up interpretating it as something more serious than it actually is. It is also hard to understand what he meant with such a short part of the conversation. Did he elaborate any further after he said that?

If you really want to know then you could either bring up a similar discussion and find out that way, or you could just ask him. :slight_smile:

3. Psychedelic Bookmarks

it depends what the story about the lesbian was about. if it was a promiscuous lesbian who had no real relationships or whatever, he may just have meant he disapproved of casual sex..?

4. wherewulfe

it could mean a few things, try bringing up more gay issues with your uncle (i dont think aunt would be a wise choice) and come out if he seems ok with it.

and as i like to say. "why do gay people want to marry? havent they suffered enough?"

5. crimsonarcher

The story was about a secretary in an office my aunt knew, and saying that she was noticeably scared of her environment because she was a lesbian...but that's all i remember.