1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cymbrii, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Cymbrii

So uhm, yeah... I'm thinking about coming out to my parents. The reason why is partially because of the election coming up. My parents are pretty conservative, they don't like Obama and want Romney to win... this is mostly because of tax-related issues, nothing to do with marriage equality. Since this is the first election where I'll be old enough to vote, my mom's been telling me I have to register to vote. A couple times they've implied that they want me to vote for Romney. For reasons that I think will be obvious to most people here, I don't want to do that.

Recently in response to their saying that, I mentioned I'd rather vote for Obama... no reasons given. This upset them and they told me to move out. The next time the subject came out a few weeks later, she said I could vote for whoever I want, said the moving out thing was a joke and apologized for it when I told her it bothered me. Regardless, the whole thing made it clear this is something they feel strongly about <.<

I tend to be a person of strong principle, and so on principle, I am not going to even consider voting for Romney to appease my parents. I believe being treated like an equal and having a president that thinks I deserve the same rights that everybody else does is important. Similarly, I don't want to have to hide my vote or dance around the reasons for it if it comes up.

My parents aren't homophobic. I've never heard them say anything derogatory or bad about gays; the subject rarely ever comes up, but I've heard my mom sympathize with gays a number of times. I'm not as confident with my dad, but I have no reason to believe he feels differently. I'm not worried about being kicked out or being abused as a result of this or anything.

The reason I'm posting here is more just.. I dunno, I tend to have a shell around them, I never tell them anything or open up about anything. Plus I have some social issues and it would be really hard for me to tell them anything in person. I could do email instead, but that would come with its own issues... Really I just want some advice about how to do this and some support and encouragement that this is a good idea.

Thanks.

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

You can tell them when you're ready. There is no rush. From what I read, I think your mom will be accepting.

3. Cymbrii

That's the thing, I am ready ^^;

4. Ianthe

I definitely think it sounds like a good idea for you to come out to them. You're ready, it doesn't sound like there would be disastrous consequences, and it would help your parents understand why you've taken this completely different political stance from their own.

Writing a letter works pretty well. It could be sent in email, but it could also be on paper--you know, the old fashioned way.

Since you live with them, you can give them the letter in person, or you can leave it for them to find sometime when you are going to be out of the house. The advantage of giving it to them in person is that your suspense will not be as prolonged. (The wait before someone responds is totally agonizing.) The advantage of leaving it for them is that you don't have to actually force yourself to hand it to them. You can just leave it on the kitchen counter.

There are examples of coming out letters in the resources section here on EC. You might want to take a look at those, if you haven't already.

When you have a draft ready, you can post it here and we will help you with it.

5. BNQ2012

Best of luck with this! I, for one, would love to hear how things turn out.

6. Cymbrii

Yeah, that's my main concern about doing it over email or something XD It would definitely be easier for me in a few ways though, since I am sorta socially awkward in situations like this, plus my mom has a tendency to interrupt sometimes. But I dunno, I'm sorta leaning towards doing it in person. This is probably the main thing I wanted advice on. In person would also be difficult because I'm not used to opening up to my parents about anything. I feel like I'd probably have an issue like freezing up and not being able to bring myself to actually bring up the subject. Thinking about it, I really have no idea why I'm leaning towards in person, there seems to be more things in favor of e-mail. The only real advantage of the former that comes to mind is increased likelihood that I can just tell my mom for now and not risk having my dad hear about it just yet.

I'm not doing this for at least a week or two though. I'd prefer this didn't get around to my brother, and he's leaving for college out of state tomorrow. Parents are going up with him and they won't be back home for a week. So we have some time to work this out first...

I appreciate the support :3

I will definitely let you guys know, thanks :3

7. Cymbrii

I kind of like the idea of focusing more on the political aspect... not making a big deal about the being gay thing more than necessary to explain my political stance. What do you guys think?

8. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you don't do it in person, I think an actual letter (handwritten or printed) as Ianthe suggested would be better than e-mail - if only for the reason that you're not ready to tell everyone yet.

It's so easy to accidentally forward the wrong email, or in a state of surprise/shock forward it to someone they know to get some advice on how to deal with it... Plus you don't know if they will be in a location/frame of mind that is the most appropriate to receive the message when they read the email.

9. Cymbrii

Wouldn't that be a potential issue with a physical letter too? Plus a letter would have to physically be somewhere in the house where someone could find it instead of being an email where you can just close or delete it.

E-mail suits me a little better, I think... and if it does happen to get around to others, meh, I'll live.

10. avemgn

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I do not think it was a joke. Your parents seem to be very stuck in their beliefs. People who care about you do not joke about kicking you out. You can come out to them but be aware that they might kick you out for real.

11. Cymbrii

I appreciate the concern, but they aren't like that. Trust me. They aren't homophobic or even religious.

It really is just a political thing. They make a ton of money every year and they're just pissed because they think Obama is going to take away their money. They'd also just gotten off the phone with my grandmother who feels completely differently than them (she's very liberal) and I think may have been arguing with her a little so it's possible they were a bit emotionally charged at the time.

Just, trust me, they wouldn't kick me out over something like this. I said I wasn't worried about being kicked out, because I'm sure it's not going to happen. If anything I'm just worried it might change our relationship somewhat, but it really probably won't be a negative change. Just... any change would be sort of scary to me. Because I'm used to not really having much of a relationship with my parents, because like I said I never tell them anything. In other words, I'm used to things being the way they are, so changing it would be like stepping outside my comfort zone.

That said, the way things are (in general) also sucks, so I'm ready for change.

12. Cymbrii

fuck I just sent my mom an email.

so uhh, I guess I came out to my mom now <.< she hasn't seen it yet though, won't for an hour or two.. a bit nervous

13. Tbob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just wanted to reply so you don't think you are being ignored! Well done on having the guts to press send. The worst bit is nearly over. Try and keep yourself busy for a bit, as hard as that may seem right now! Hope it goes well.

14. Cloudbreaker

Did you send it on accident? Even if you did, what is done is done. Might as well make the best of it, right? I hope all goes well!

15. Cymbrii

No, it was intentional.

Thanks guys.

16. Cloudbreaker

Ah, well that's good that it was sent on your own terms then. Keep us posted!

17. Cymbrii

got a response

18. Cymbrii

I feel... I don't know. Not much different than when I was waiting for a response honestly.

I don't really know how to describe it or why I feel this way. Blah. I guess I just feel a bit exposed. It's not strictly about being gay, but more just, I've never really told them this much about myself. Ever. It's weird, I know.

19. Ozma

Ozma Guest

You might just need some time to let this all sink in.

I think you did great. :slight_smile:

20. Cymbrii

My mom's been acting like nothing happened, still acting like everything's the same as it was before.

I for some reason just can't stop feeling stressed out and kind of anxious about it, even though I got a good reaction. x.x I dont really know why... has anyone else felt this way before?