1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Fluctuation"...can you relate?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sbianca, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Sbianca

Out Status:
    Some people
    I identify as bisexual. I have noticed that I seem to feel more inclined one way than the other from time to time. Sometimes I'm very interested in men and other times I don't find them attractive at all. But I always find women attractive even if I'm leaning in the other direction at that time. This makes me wonder about my attraction to men and how genuine it can really be if it's the attraction that fluctuates most, and even sometimes totally disappears.
    Anyone feel the same way?

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My attractions tend to fluctuate between being attracted to guys, girls, not interested at all, or just generally interested.

3. Romi

Sexuality, as you'll discover, and honestly already are, is fluid. For some people what they're attracted to never changes. For others...it's like dealing the flavor of the week. But there is nothing wrong with that. Happens to me, though I am always attracted to men, and I'm very picky about the women I find appealing.

4. BNQ2012

That makes sense. I'm newly out so I don't know what my pattern will be in the future. I will say that I am nearly always attracted to masculine gender presentation regardless of sex. Generally that means cisgender men (though my attraction to them has waned over time), transgender men, and butch women. Because relatively few women are butch, the majority of people I am attracted to tend to be men.

Other bi folks I know report that they have fluctuations in how their attractions run. One woman I know pretty much lived as a lesbian for years and now almost exclusively partners with men. Other people have had the opposite happen. A couple of the bi women I know say they rarely meet a woman they don't like but it's the one in a million man that will strike their fancy.

I find the variety in sexual expression among bi folks fascinating.

5. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really. Sometimes I switch from Bisexual to asexual, but I don't ever play favorites with the genders. Yes, I'm slightly more attracted to women, but that's always been the case. Most of my relationships have been with females, but that's only because I was unopen about my sexuality, so I just dated women to avoid further complicating things.

Coming out also seems to have awaken a homoromantic part of me that wasn't there before. For the longest time, I didn't feel that bisexual, although that was a symptom of hiding it, I think. Being ashamed of myself did cause me not to indulge on my homosexual impulses.

With that barrier gone, my attraction to men has spiked, so my sexuality has gotten balanced to an extent.

6. Sbianca

Out Status:
    Some people
    That's interesting. It makes me wonder if I will experience changes once I come out to more people and can feel "freer" in that respect.
    The fluidity of my attraction is one reason why I kind of suspect some people (ex: my mom) won't believe that I'm bisexual because society generally sees sexuality as concrete. See what I mean? She's probably be skeptical and want me to wait for it to "normalize" before deciding what I am. (I've been waiting, and it's so obvious to me now that I'm bisexual.)

7. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah, this happens for me too.

8. abbey steven

abbey steven Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    basically this is the game of mind.you can convince your mind but not convince your heart.so i advice you think from mind and feel from heart. bisexuality is not a sin its depend on you to whom you want to spend your life.

9. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Also, it could be that you're switching for other reasons. It's not necessarily due to you repressing the impulses, although in all likelihood it is. I'm just saying it may not be the case, because sexuality is something too complex to describe in under one name.

The fact that you admit to being bisexual causes me to think it's due to supressing the cravings. Despite it differing from day to day, your urges are gonna be permanent, so you'll always be attracted to men.

Nothing you can do will make it "normalize." When I hated being bisexual, I tried that and it was such a waste of time. I'd advise you to forget about that altogether, because then you'll be wasting your time, much like I did. My big regret is having this internalized biphobia and refusing to indulge in it as I could've been with some hot men :bang:

Additionally, I disproved my parent's idea of monosexuality when I hooked up with men and women. Maybe you could do that to show them they're wrong?

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    absolutely

i lean more toward women but over the past week or two i have been REALLY hanging to sleep with a guy, and haven't been thinking about girls at all. More often, it's the other way around. It definitely fluctuates.

11. PurpleCrab

Yeah!! I have ignored my attraction to some males for years before I came out as bi. There are still times when I feel like all guys are totally sexually repulsive to me, no exceptions. But then I remember that I can be attracted by some of them who are very feminine.

What settles it for me: if I CAN be attracted by a person of either gender that means I'm bisexual, that's it. If I was ever attracted by a man in addition to being very attracted by lots of women all the time, that means I'm bi.

12. Sbianca

Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely go through periods when men are really unappealing to me. If I think about them, it's as if there's some part of my mind + body that's saying, "Uhhh...no. Just no. Not an option." Not so with women. It's as if I'm attracted to women in general and men in particular, if that makes sense.

#12 Sbianca, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012