1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silly haircut question...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nemo39122, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Nemo39122

So basically, I'm biologically female but questioning my gender identity. I know I'm at least genderqueer (though don't really like the term), and possibly transgender.

I also have long hair. This bugs me. I feel like if I had a short hairstyle that it would help me with my gender identity somehow...but I'm worried about something.

I already dress in almost entirely male or gender neutral clothing, and sometimes bind my chest with undersized sport bras (usually just when I'm by myself, but sometimes in public). But at this point I feel like people are just seeing me as tomboyish or their idea of stereotypically lesbian. I worry that if I also cut my hair, then they'll somehow know something's up.

Thoughts? Advice?

By the way, the type of hairstyles I'm considering are like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So yeah, just that short, hair-going-everywhere look. I worry it will make things obvious, even though I know many straight cisgender women also have these hairstyles...:bang:

2. CrucioPureblood

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd say just do whatever you feel most comfortable with. I hated having long hair, as it made me feel really girly, so then I got it cut. I'm assuming that you don't want people to know about your gender identity, but the chances are people aren't going to jump to that conclusion, unless you give them really strong indicators. Like calling yourself by male names and/or pronouns, etc.. I suppose the tomboy/butch lesbian idea would be more encouraged by short hair, but I know a lot of guys go through that stage in their transition, but it does pass eventually. So yeah, I would just advise that you do whatever would make you happy :slight_smile:

Good luck, and keep us in the know about what you decide? I hope it works out for you (*hug*)

#2 CrucioPureblood, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  3. rg93

Go for it if you feel more comfortable with sort hair! :slight_smile: Don't let anyone else's thoughts and "assumptions" stop you. Besides, I don't think they will jump to the right conclusion, just because you went and got a haircut! :wink:

4. Brody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just do what u want to do for me i think that looks like a great hair style tell me how it turns out

5. Lewis

Out of the 3, go for Pink's hairstyle. Really messy hair is just awesome. The top one is just too typical and expected.

6. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I recently got my hair cut short and messy, and people who don't know still assume I'm straight, although I dress more feminine than you do. I don't think you should worry about whether it's going to make it obvious. If having short hair will make you feel happy and confident, I say go for it!

7. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Also keep in mind the hair cut is only part of the overall look - the overall "message" or "image" will also be influenced by make up/lack of, jewelry/piercings, accessories, clothing it's paired up with, any streaks/colour accents in hair, etc...

And at your age it grows back :icon_wink

8. Nemo39122

Yeah I like that one best too, I just might have it a little longer on the sides. I posted them in order of when I found them and I wasn't sure what to search to find the style I had in mind, so the other two aren't quite right. I also think it helps that I found a picture of a woman having that style so when I bring it up to people I can avoid the whole "You're getting your hair cut like a guy?" idea.

Thanks for the replies everyone :slight_smile: