1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding out your bosses

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Yuya, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few months ago, I was hanging out at one of my local gay clubs when I saw two of my bosses hanging out there (not together). So of course that was like a coming out/finding out they are gay sort of scenario although I already suspected them to be. Things were a bit awkward for awhile because I didn't really know how to confront them at work. Like should I should pretend everything was normal or how do I go about talking to them about it. A few weeks ago, I was just talking to another manager at work that I was going to this bar to hang out with my friends and lo and behold, I saw him there again. It was a bit of a shocker to see him there and he winked at me and introduced himself to my friends. I'm not the outgoing out-there obvious type so I struggle a bit to talk about such things although with my friends and in a casual environment I'm pretty comfortable with that.

Just wondering if anyone has ever gone through the same scenario of finding out their bosses were gay?

2. Romi

That's really interesting. And I'm not gonna lie, I think it's pretty awesome. I might be just a slight bit jealous that I've only ever had straight coworkers. Straight coworkers who either can't stop talking about their men or straight coworkers who feel the incessant need to insult the lgbt community every chance they get. I would love to be in a situation like that.

And hey...at least he came and introduced himself to your friends instead of trying to hide the fact he was gay to you. That would have made it really awkward at work, me thinks.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Not my boss because I don't work, but I have in the past run into two of my professors at a club. It was rather awkward because one of my friends who was drunk ran to them, gave them a huge hug, and then ran away. We were laughing so hard xD It made networking with them easier, though.

But, like Romi said, I think you are in a good place here. Your boss is gay, he acknowledged you when he saw you and everything is good :slight_smile:

4. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

I have gay bosses, but they are very out and its very obvious they are a couple :slight_smile:

5. Yuya

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I'm probably lucky, I think having bosses who are gay and decent about it are pretty cool. (Some can be quite obnoxious). He's very nice and says hi whenever we work. I should buy him a drink the next time I see him at the club again.

6. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm I'd say if you thought maybe they were gay but didn't know for sure, then it may be something they don't want the entire planet to know about. I'd say be nice friendly talk to them when you see them at the club, but keep it professional at work. Unless it's a closed door situation there is no such thing as a private conversation in most work environments these days.