1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facial/Body Hair (Mini-rant/help?) :I

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tabb, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Tabb

This is a weird thing to complain about, but it's honestly a driving factor in my depression. I also just want to say that, before you think I'm depressed over this one thing, that my depression consists of a bunch of smaller things and a few larger things.

I've got a lot of body hair that just does not want to disappear. It's all really dark, and it grows back fast enough that I've got stubble 24 hours after I've shaved (If even that long). I feel like I've tried everything at this point (Shaving, waxing, nair, epilator, etc); all except for the expensive stuff like laser surgery or electrolysis (there's a reason I haven't tried it yet... I'm not made of money :T).

I just don't know what to do. I'm afraid the one time a guy does try to get to know me, he'll just be off-put by the stubble. I simply can't accept letting it grow any more than I usually let it. It's not only for "that guy", but it's for myself too. I don't like feeling masculine and manly. Not that I like feeling extremely effeminate, but I like to come off as feminine enough (in appearance) to show where I stand.

I know this isn't the most important thing on the table, but if anyone could spare some advice or help, I'd be happy. I won't be offended if you think I'm being stupid, either.

Best wishes to you,
    Tabb

2. Praetor

While I may not be depressed about it, I too grow tired of body hair at times. While I am more masculine than feminine (at least I think I am?), I think it is really an aesthetic trait for a "youthful appearance" rather than wanting to be more feminine (speaking for myself at least).

As you already know, laser surgery and electrolysis exist for removing hair from the body, and both are relatively expensive. Shaving is a daily ritual for most guys and there's plenty of guys out there who probably wish that they didn't have to go through it every day (I know I do). If you don't want to save up for either procedure, then you'll probably just have to continue shaving. If you do decide to save up for one, although I've not undergone either I've read that laser hair removal may be better if you want a longer lasting solution.

For shaving, you can also alter your technique or "ritual" to try to get a closer shave. There are probably people and websites out there which illustrate things you can do better than I can.

It's certainly not stupid to have these thoughts, and you are not weird for asking! Don't let it get you down. If a guy won't love you because you have some stubble on your face, then he's obviously shallow and probably not worth your time in the long run anyways.

#2 Praetor, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  3. DoriaN

If a person cares about you then don't be afraid, be honest.

That said yeah on white skin with dark hair follicles laser surgery is AMAZING, highly recommended.

Or if you want something cheaper I suggest wax or chemical.

4. Tabb

1) I really, really want to, but I've had a lot of concerns about it, other than money. I don't want it to be some process that could potentially take months or years (seeing as I would want darn near my whole body done). I hear that the surgery requires going into each individual follicle, and that doesn't sound very quick in the slightest.

2) The way I shave is pretty decent if I do say so myself. I get a nice smooth shave every time, it just grows back really fast. Other problems in shaving, though, are that in places like my face and, well, "down there", tend to get razor burn/irritation no matter what I do to avoid it. Against the grain, with the grain, and I'd almost go as far as to say that the irritation is worse, but I don't know.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really do appreciate someone taking the time to help me. :slight_smile:

Of course I'll be honest. I just don't want to be rejected right off the bat because of something I'm trying my hardest to get rid of :I

Is it that amazing? I mean, when I get a job I'm definitely going to start saving, but I'm afraid it's going to take ages to complete.

Thanks for responding. :slight_smile:

#4 Tabb, Sep 2, 2012
  5. Praetor

1) I believe that laser skin removal treatment is usually between 3 to 12 sessions depending on the coverage, thickness and density of the hair. Each treatment also varies in time, but usually I would say it's around a half hour to hour and a half? Again it depends. One thing to note, though, is that once you get it done, you've crossed the Rubicon, so to speak. The hair will be gone for a pretty long time, so it should be something that you're 100% committed to for the long term. If you're unsure of the laser technology itself, I will admit that I have undergone 2 different laser treatments for skin issues and they have been extremely helpful, effective, and safe.
    2) I am ridiculously jealous lol. I wish my shaves were always smooth... my skin gets irritated easily, so I've had to learn a bunch of things, often the hard way. Go with the grain, if you can. Use good products for your shaving, including a good cream/gel and pre-shave/post-shave for your face in particular. Cleanse before you shave. For post-shave, use some gentle aftershave, alcohol-free may be better if you're really sensitive. Toners are sometimes combined with aftershaves or are separate products, but they can help neutralize pH which may help the redness. A really good thing I've been using more recently is just some Aloe Vera at night, which you could try.

6. Dalmatian

Wash your face thoroughly with plain soap prior to shaving. Shave with the grain. Use new, perfectly sharp blade, apply little pressure (this part is important), wash the blade after every stroke. Afterwards, apply plenty of water to completely wash gels and cream off. If needed, use soap again, with a lot of water (i.e. don't make soap creamy). When done, dry your face with an absolutely clean towel; you can use toilet paper instead, throw away first two squares. Don't touch your face for half an hour or so. You can apply aftershave and alcohol based are actually not bad to disinfect the scratches.

If you do it that way, I don't see how you can have any burns.

7. Tabb

I'll look more into laser, I suppose. It seems like so much trouble, though. :I

I don't see why you are. xD Sure, I get smooth shaves, but they end up growing back right away. I usually get lazy and that's where I decide I'll wait a few days, which ends up becoming weeks. I couldn't stand to do my whole body every day. I actually have this stuff now, that I can't recall the name of, that is advertised as having a lot of Aloe Vera in it, and it seems to make the shave a lot nicer. I typically go against the grain. I can't get a smooth shave with the grain, so I never bother. :T

Like I say, I've tried almost everything. Shaving with the grain leaves unwanted stubble regardless of how many times I go over it. I've even tried getting all that fancy stuff. You know, the pre-shave, after-shave, shave gel, badger brush, etc. Even after all that, it seems like the best thing I have been able to do so far is shave in the shower. xP

#7 Tabb, Sep 2, 2012
  8. AllyCat

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh wow, I can totally relate. I have to shave my legs every morning with 2 different razors and if I'm going out in the evening I have to do it again because by then I'll have stubble. Dang Italian genes. And I totally understand what you mean about it being a self-esteem issue. Whenever I wear shorts in public, I get nervous that I missed a spot and someone will point it out in an unkind way.

As far as other options go, they do make a prescription cream called Vaniqa that reduces the growth of facial hair in 4-8 weeks. Only 2 problems though:
    1. It costs about $100 a tube and most insurance companies probably won't cover it because it would be considered a cosmetic issue. The Vaniqa website does have a rebate coupon for $25 though.
    2. Vaniqa is only approved for women because none of the studies for it used any male subjects. It doesn't contain estrogen or anything so I don't see why you couldn't use it on a man.

9. cscipio

Just to put it out there, if you keep it trimed and neat, you'd be surprised by the number of guys who think that's hot. Just because you're predisposed to be hairy doesn't mean you have to be the human gerbil and just because you have stubble doesn't mean that most guys will go running.

10. Tabb

I'll have to look it up! I haven't heard of it yet. Though I'm usually iffy on creams. Thanks!

I don't really know how to make it look trimmed and neat.... but like I said earlier, it's also for me. I really don't like body hair anyways. I don't mind it on others, I just don't like it on me. :I

11. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can I ask what problems you had with epilation? I epilate some parts like "down there" and "back there" and my upper legs, while I trim the hair on my lower legs. I shave other areas such as my chest and abdomen, and obviously my face.

Trust me, it isn't easy. And it took me years of figuring it out — before I got hairy — to get a system that works. But once you do, you'll be off into the wind, or so they say.

12. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One thing I remember reading was to avoid using the same blade for your face and for other body parts (armpits etc) something to do with mixing up the types of bacteria normally found in different areas... especially if you don't use brand new blades every time (which I would guess most people don't cause it would be rather expensive - I can usually keep one of those fancy 5 blade cartridges going for 3-4 weeks, facial hair 5-6 times/week).

13. Gen

Gen

It really isnt as hard as it looks. I have to trim my hair, rather than shave, because I apparantly have the worlds softest skin. Shaving my face takes days ( ;_; ).

My system of trimming body hair is relatively simple, but effective. I take a shower, get out and dry off, dont use lotion yet. Take a soft, but firm brush(A shoe brush could even work.) and brush all of the hair in the opposite way of its natural position. (Usually upward). Take a sharp pair of scissors and trim all of the hair to the same level. The most common reason why body hair stands out is because it is random and messy. Once its all leveled, brush the hair back down to its original position and admire. Just like your head, if you dont want chaotic hair than you have to brush it. When those loopy curls come in, they will draw the most attention. If it isnt right or short enough. Repeat.

It is a little tedious, but it will leave all of your hair light, controlled, and equal. I would personally recommend that you learn to trim rather than shave because it is overall better for the skin and it lasts much longer. You're body wont replace the hair as quickly if you still have some left. I only have to try MAYBE twice a week.

Oh a side note. Cscipio is right. It seems the majority of guys are fond of body hair. I understand the need to feel confortable, which is why a trim my hair myself. But I would advise that you find some middle ground in yourself. Mess around a bit and try to find some was to feel confortable with your hair without completely shaving, because as you said, stubble isnt very confortable for anyone. :/

14. Tabb

Well, I'm currently still trying the whole epilating thing. It hurts really bad, and I can't seem to get used to the pain. I haven't given up on it yet, but I'm struggling with the pain. It doesn't leave the skin perfectly smooth, but the hair stays away for so long that I keep trying. If you have any advice, I would be very thankful. :slight_smile:

I do typically use the same blade, but I can't imagine that would be the cause of razor burn on my face. I don't get it anywhere else (except "down there")... :I

How exactly do you shave your face? I've been told by a lot of people that my skin might just be really sensitive. Do you just wait till it grows in, then shave? Or do you do something special?

Honestly, if I wasn't so dead-set against having no body hair, I would probably consider just trimming it. Had you told me a year or two ago, when I practically had a full body fur outfit, I may have been more inclined to just trim. :I At this point, I really just don't want it growing back in. I can't stand having it.

There really is no middle ground for me Dx I'm either content or I'm not. I really honestly don't know what to do at this point. :T

15. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It hurts shockingly bad the first two times. There's an area called the perineum and I just found it so difficult there, but I just kept making swipes at it. The first two to three times it was so painful, but it's like the skin gets used to it or something. The first three times, there was a LOT of irritation. I mean it was read, lumpy and blotchy. But now I epilate down there and it is perfectly smooth.

BUT, here's one of my secrets. I use Benzoyl Peroxide, which is an over-the-counter acne medication. It acts as an antiseptic, antimicrobial and antibacterial (some of the main causes of irritation) and it also is a skin peeling agent, like an exfoliator... so it prevents in-grown hairs and stuff. I apply this every night to the trouble spots.

I have a Braun epilator that works in the shower, so I take a really hot shower and make sure my pores are open and stuff. Doing it under the running water also helps with the pain!

But as I said, expect serious irritation that might last for two or three weeks the first few times. But it gets dramatically better.

That said, I have never seen the irritation improve on the abdomen or chest, so I just shave there instead. But I epilate, my "area", ass, and upper legs, and sometimes my feet.

One thing with Benzoyl Peroxide: it can be quite drying, so it's definitely a good idea to use a moisturiser too. Which will also sooth any irritation. Aloe vera is good too.

Hope this helps a bit. It was basically hit or miss for me initially.

16. Gen

Gen

I use electric clippers. I do have to use a a light powder on the area before I use the clippers and I just go extemely slow.

Though I do have facial hair atm. Mainly because I cant figure out what the hell I want to do >_>. I havent figured out how to keep it really low, without cuting it all, because I look better with some. I hate facial hair.........................

17. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can use a facial hair trimmer. I look better with some too, so for the past several years I've just kept it trimmed down, just slightly longer than a stubble. The trimmers are adjustable so you can get really close or keep a little length. Personally I use this one. Philips Norelco Pro Stubble trimmer

18. Gen

Gen

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm pretty sure I can do it with my clippers, I just have to work up the balls to test it out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Quartz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know, a lot of guys find hair quite attractive. You might want to stop focusing on getting rid of all your hair and set a more realistic goal. Try getting a clipper and use it all over your body on the 3 mm setting (you can get one for like 10 bucks at WalMart). You won't be smooth all over, but you won't be a bear either, and it's much, much faster than shaving, and you don't have to do it every day. Then save up some money for the more expensive treatments on the spots that bother you the most, such as your face. Keep doing that and saving up, and you'll eventually be able to get laser or something like that all over your body.

I also don't like body hair, but fortunately I naturally have very little. I have my own skin problems though, so the grass isn't really greener over here, promise :icon_bigg

20. Tabb

I want to thank everyone for their responses! I've literally taken everything into consideration and I've decided upon a course of action. I'm probably going just try and trim body hair, and then ask my doctor about laser surgery for my facial hair. Thanks SO much. I know it was a minor problem, but I'm glad I got some answers.