1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it ok for Christians to have same sex marriages?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vhrebels, Sep 2, 2012.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Hi Everyone! So, I just got back from church (I go to a southern baptist church), and today they were talking about how they believe that God made marriage between a man and a woman, and they said that any other kind of marriage is wrong and is going against God's plan. Do all christians believe this? I really want to be able to get married in the future, but I'm worried that I'd be doing something wrong and I would be sinning. My church has also talked about how they believe that acting upon homosexual feelings is a sin, and I kind of wanted to start dating other guys, but the people that go to my church are really judgemental, and would think of me negatively if I were to do so. I really want to visit other churches, but my parents force me to go here.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not all Christians believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. It really differs from denomination to denomination and even church to church. Not all churches are like yours, there are many churches that are open affirming. They accept all LGBT people.

Also, acting on your feelings is not a sin. There is nothing in the bible that says being gay is an abomination. People have just made the verses sound like that. Maybe you could try to go to a more accepting church.

3. john1984

No not all christians beleive that but unfortunately some of them do. It just depends on the church and what denomination it is. I know many christians who don't beleive that. I am a christian and obviously don't beleive that it's a sin. It's interesting i have a strong faith in god but the more time goes on i buy very little of what i'm told by the church.

4. Fintan

The Episcopal (Anglican) Church began Same-Sex Marriages (in states that permit it) this year in the United States. I also know gay marriages are permitted in the United Church of Christ, (most) Quaker meetinghouses and the Metropolitan Community Church.

There are many other Christian denominations that perform 'gay blessings' or in recent years have become supportive of homosexuality. I think in the next decade or so we'll see many mainstream traditional Protestant churches perform gay marriage. I am doubtful about the Southern Baptist Church though, unfortunately.

I'm an Anglican in Canada, we have gay blessings in some places, but not marriage yet. But I think that will change in the next 5 years. However, the United Church of Canada performs gay marriages and they are the second largest denomination in Canada.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  6. Ianthe

This speech is the best I know of for reconciling Christianity with being gay--it uses scripture for doing so. I'm not a Christian myself, so I won't comment beyond that. It's a little bit long.

[YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

The same video and a transcript of the speech can be found here: TRANSCRIPT

7. Aldrick

Hey vhrebels. (*hug*)

As someone who also grew up in a fundamentalist Southern Baptist Church (and community), I've walked a mile in those shoes you're wearing.

To answer your question: Yes, absolutely. With each passing year more and more churches are becoming welcoming and open to LGBT people. Some have always been so, and others are discovering the error of their ways and changing course. There is still struggle and conflict, of course, but there is nothing incompatible with being gay and being Christian. Many LGBT people still identify themselves as Christian, and some dominations have even had openly gay high ranking clergy members.

Thecat06 linked a post I made awhile back addressing the general issue of homosexuality and the Bible. Ianthe linked you to a video made by Matthew Vines which addresses the scriptural issues of homosexuality in the Bible directly. If you read my post and watch the video you'll have all the information you need to understand why Christians opposed to homosexuality are misguided and wrong.

If you have any specific questions, I urge you to ask them. (*hug*)

8. DoriaN

I'm Christian, I believe Jesus is who he said he was, and I'm going through my own struggles.

The main thing that comforts me is john 3:16, and I feel being LGBT isn't wrong.
    Keeping pure virtues such as monogamy and such I think is the key thing.

If a gay guy murdered someone, and a straight guy murdered someone; who sinned more?
    In my opinion it would be completely equal, the sin is the sin, not the person who either lived a moral or immoral life.

9. Ben

Ben

In a word, yes. There are Churches out there who will welcome same-sex marriages with open arms. It's unfortunate that you don't attend one, but do try some more liberal Churches out when you can and see if they fit with your view of the world.

10. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Im a christian that goes to a southern baptist church as well. I dont believe that its a sin to love. The way I see it, God wants us to be happy no matter what we do or who we like. John 3:16 is a comfort to me as well. Just stick to what Jesus said and he nothing about being gay.

11. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Thanks everyone for your help! I've been trying to get my parents to let me visit another church, but they won't let me. Is there any thing I could say to them to let me visit another church? I really can't stand how homophobic my church is.

12. Nemo39122

Most seem to, at least the ones who are serious about their beliefs.

My advice would be to stop going to church. But I'm all bitter and stuff, so...

13. Aldrick

If your parents are like a lot of people I know, they're attending the same Church with you and may have been going for years. The Church is more than just a place to worship; it's a social club.

If this is the case, getting them to go somewhere else and effectively "start over" is unlikely. However, you can simply insist that you are no longer going to go to church. If you are deeply religious and desire to have worship service then there are some churches who broadcast their service over the internet, you can locate several churches to find one that you like and join them.

Of course, not showing up may not be acceptable to them at all, but that is perhaps the most viable alternative.

14. SkyDiver

To be completely honest, I don't know.

But just think about it. Why would God be against it?

15. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Gosh, I wish I could answer this question. But I fear getting banned for being so blunt.