1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mom knows

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Spirit, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Spirit

I'm very sure that my Mom knows that I'm lesbian, I belive it's partly because of my own stupidity. This may be long.

First some backstory, I'm a writer and I like to make little biographies for my characters. Just so I can keep their information in order. On night in February I was using my Mom's laptop (I do this a lot) and writing the bio of a bisexual female. While I was working on this my Mom wanted to take her computer up for the night. I wasn't able to save the document so I asked if she could do it for me, which she did. But I hadn't expected her to read the whole thing, including the character's full history, and my mother assumed that I was trying to tell her something. The next night, while in the car she confronted me about the whole thing, even asking if I needed to tell her something. At the time I was still questioning, so I just awkwardly ended the conversation. I couldn't get that incident out of my head for months, and we never talked about it again.

Which brings things up to a few days ago. My Mom and I were watching TV on the couch Which is irregular, as she normally sits in an armchair. I was using her laptop and visiting my normal sites, and I (very stupidly) beliving that she couldn't see the screen, quickly checked on EC. (I'm sure she's seen a EC tab open on my browser before) Later that night, right before I was going to start getting ready for bed, she came up to my room. She sat down on next to me on my bed, and said "Hey, I've been picking up on some things lately and I was wondering if you wanted to talk to me about it." TO which I responded "Uhhh... I'm about 80% sure I know what you're talking about and can we please talk later?" My Mom left me alone for nearly the rest of the night.

My parents are both very open minded and supportive of their gay friends. But I'm not really sure about what I should do next. I think I'm at a point where I can start coming out to people, but I'm really apprehensive about coming out to my parents. I seriously have no idea where this leaves me. Any ideas?

2. Salazar

I'd just jump in and tell her at this point. Nothing could be worse than the suspense.

Good luck! (*hug*)

3. Ianthe

Wow, it sounds like your mom is really supportive! That's great! She knows and she just wants you to know you can talk to her about it.

If you tell her, you won't have to worry about her finding out anymore. Wouldn't that be a relief? It seems like you should go ahead and tell her, if you can bring yourself to do it.

Have you ever said it out loud? If not, do you think you'll be able to? Try it, alone. Look in the mirror and say it. (I'm totally serious. Actually do this.)

If it's too hard to say it out loud to your mom, you could write her a letter. We'll help you with a draft if you want.

4. Mango

Write her an invitation to lunch this weekend.

Prepare one of her favorite meals (or sandwiches) and make some tea. Discuss your details at that time...

5. Aldrick

I'm echoing everything Ianthe wrote. Your mother knows that you're questioning at the very least. In fact, you acknowledged it. She's just waiting until your comfortable enough to talk about it.

As scary as it sounds, I think your mother has already started to sort through her feelings and prepare for what you're about to tell her. She sounds like an amazing mother who is trying to slip you the key under the closet door, without forcing you to throw it open. It sounds like she's on the other side just waiting for you to come out, so she can give you the support that you need.

All of this is good news.

6. Spirit

I have said it out loud a few times, and in front of a mirror. If not very quietly. Writing her a letter sounds like a great option for me. I might be able to be on more during the weekend for some drafting, as I start school tomorrow.

And thank you so much to everyone who posted!

7. coming out

coming out Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad your mom is so understanding hope you can let her know soon . My mom I'm sure knows . I've been caught masterbating more then a few times, I have more female friends then male friends . Many other red flags that inicate I'm gay. I just haven't confirmed it yet