1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Started HRT today!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by J Snow, Sep 4, 2012.

1. J Snow

Hello everyone, just got my prescription to start hormone therapy today. Honestly, for all the years I spent questioning my gender, I never really thought this day would come. It seems unreal.

That being said, its coming with a lot of mixed emotion. Neither my family nor my roommates know that I'm starting this, putting me on a time limit to come out to them before... well the changes make it obvious.

I may not have used the word transgender but at least one of my roommates knows I wanted to be a girl. He was pretty cool with that. I don't know how cool he'll be with me transitioning while living with him, but I don't think its fair to him (or my other two roommates) to be doing this without at least talking to one of them about it first. So I think I'm gonna try to talk to him tonight (the two of us usually stay up later than our other roommates).

My family is a bigger problem. I'm still very reliant on them. I don't know how to make them understand. I mean I literally was at the point where if I didn't get started, I had no motivation for life anymore. I'm thinking about telling my sister (she's 17). She's not any more open minded then them, but at least if I can trust her enough to not tell my parents than I don't have to worry about them cutting off the financial help they give me, (rent, car, phone, etc.) because if I lose that I'm screwed. And, with a little time, if she comes around eventually it would be a mountain of stress off of me to at least have one family member I don't have to hide this from.

My doctor did start me out a very low dosage (25mg spiro, .5 mg estro, twice daily: compared to my friend further in who is getting 200mg spiro 2mg estro, twice daily) so maybe I won't get noticeable changes for some time, but I'm still freaking out, trying to avoid panic attacks every time I stop and think about it.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like Ms. (it feel more comfortable referring to myself as female now =P) negative because this is what I've been wanting for a long time, and I do feel more at ease with myself. Its just other people I need to worry about =P

Well, not really coming in here looking for any specific advice, just wanted to provide an update more than anything. =)

2. sanguine

Sounds quite exciting :slight_smile:

Honestly, if this makes you happy, Im pretty sure everything will turn out fine, with the parents and with the transitioning.

3. congrats. woop woop.(!)

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!!

5. Ianthe

I think your doctor is wise. You don't want to start hormones at a high dose suddenly.

You know how teenage girls have crazy mood swings, and even sometimes burst into tears for virtually no reason?

Yeah... It's better to be gradual with the hormones.

Meanwhile, see if now that you're on HRT, you can focus more on establishing financial independence. It will still be horrible if your parents reject you, but at least it will only be horrible emotionally.

Congratulations!

6. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. GirlNextDoor

GirlNextDoor Guest

I really hope it all goes well! :slight_smile: And yeah, it's a good thing to start slow with the hormones.
    Congratulations, and best of luck to you!

8. ForceAndVerve

Wishing you all the best!

9. J Snow

Thanks everyone.

Its hard to be financially independent when I have a year of college left =/

10. Mango

You're going to feel so much more like yourself! Everyday will feel more worthwhile living...

It's simply a wonderful feeling! If all goes well, you'll have practically all the assets needed except for one. To tell you the truth, some find that one thing NOT to be so bad after awhile. However, you just might be different, as many are...

Anyways...Congrats, girlfriend! (!)

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, but on the other hand, one year of college loans hits a lot softer than four years of college loans. And that's only worst case, which we hope will not happen.

You are brave, and I am glad that you are doing this for yourself.

While I agree that you should tell those you are around that you're doing this, I encourage you to do only what you feel is safe. You don't owe anyone that piece of information. It's yours.

#11 Pret Allez, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  12. RainDreamer

Oooh! You finally did it! I am so happy for you! =D

Have a great life being yourself! You are on your first steps toward something great!

And, you know, being able to make this step against all odds requires a special kind of courage, a kind that I have not yet found within me. But I think you just plant a seed of that courage in my heart.

Thank you, and best wishes.

13. J Snow

Well, I'm still going to have loans after this. I've been on loans for tuition, parents have jsut been paying for my rent, car, insurance, phone, etc.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2012 at 02:22 PM ----------

I'm glad that my sharing was able to help you =) Thank you for the kind words.

14. DoriaN

Congratulations! I'm in a similar boat to you, atm I'm on 400mg of spiro daily but waiting on estrogen. I'm seeing a therapist end september so wish me luck! You should take pictures to show progress!

15. jvn95

Good luck! That's wonderful news!

16. J Snow

I have been taking some on my phone. Its not the greatest quality though. I just need to remember to stick with it. Probably won't be a problem since I stop and try to notice changes everytime I look in the mirror lol

17. DoriaN

Ahaha understandable, my day is coming soon too!

Changes take a while, so regardless of how excited we get we need to be calm about it :frowning2:

Lucky for me after this gross manleh job I can take 5 months off to work on my transition :grin: !!