1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, anyone? Please?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GirlNextDoor, Sep 4, 2012.

1. GirlNextDoor

GirlNextDoor Guest

I apologize ahead of time for the length of this post, but I really need some advice on coming out of this stupid closet. :confused:
    I'm in high school, and I recently discovered I'm bisexual (although I'd suspected for a long time). I've been thinking about it for a while, and I feel somewhat safe about coming out.
    My parents and my mom's family are not homophobic whatsoever (my aunt is a lesbian, and my sister was named after my mom's best friend who was gay), so I don't think coming out to them will be a problem. :eusa_danc
    My dad's family, however, would be another story entirely...
    My oldest friend, whom I've literally known my whole life (I have baby pictures of us) is who I've decided to come out to first. I don't really think this will be an issue, as he has several friends who are homosexual.
    Telling him will be a coming-out practice run. He has always been a friend to me, and I know for sure he won't do anything harsh.
    However, most of my other friends are either strict Jehovah's Witness, or strict Mormon. :icon_sad: I don't know if I will ever tell them (although I feel bad keeping a secret like this from them, and I wish I could come out... it's not like we aren't close friends.... but it's a bad idea, considering their religion).
    Finally, and most importantly, I have a special friend whom I met a few years ago. We are so similar in personality, people often call us "the twins". We even finish each other's sentences! :lol: Our friendship grew really close really fast, and she is by far the best female friend I have ever had, ever.
    This girl would be the second person I told (the first being the male friend I mentioned).
    I know this is kind of a classic, but I'm really afraid that once she learns I like girls, she'd distance herself from me. Or worse, reject me! :icon_sad: I really don't think I could handle something like that. I'm a very weak person in that respect...
    Is there a way I could tell her to minimize the chance of future awkwardness between us, or her rejecting me? I really, really do not want to lose her! :help:

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my suggestion is to that when you tell her, mention that you're telling her because you trust her, and because you're such good friends you want her to know, but that you hope it doesn't change your relationship. that way she gets that you don't want things to change or make her think you're interested, but also emphasizes why you've decided to tell her.

3. GirlNextDoor

GirlNextDoor Guest

I really appreciate that you took the time to help me out. I'm not amazing at communication skills, so this kind of thing is hard for me.
    Thank you so much! :slight_smile: