1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to drop the bomb in casual conversation?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Quartz, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Quartz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty much no one knows that I'm gay - not because I'm actively hiding it (from my friends at least - family's a different matter). I've just never been asked be anyone, and being an extremely private person I'm not really going around telling people. So I'd just like to start dropping it in casual conversation like it's no big deal, because to me it isn't really, and I really don't want to have people making a fuss (unavoidable, I know, but I'd like to minimize it). I want to go for an "oh, you mean I never told you?" tone. Any advice?

2. Gen

Gen

It shouldnt be too hard, it just depends who you are talking too.

If you're talking to a girl its even easier because when she brings up her "guy issues". You can just join in with
    "Tell me about it >_>".
    "What O_O"
    "Oh I never told you hmm."

If you are talking to guys and the subject of girls comes up. You could make comments like..
    "Well, I wouldnt know."

If you want to nonchalantly put it out there than it is actually really easy. You just have to notice openings and take them.

3. Ianthe

Speak as a gay person. When talking about politics, bring up marriage equality (and since it's an election year, politics will come up).

Get involved in something in the community--it will be much easier to refer to being gay if it is an integrated part of your life somehow. "No, I can't make it then, I have my gay book club that afternoon."

4. hatethiscloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find that I'm having this exact problem! Its frustrating, isn't it? I mean, straight people never have to come out, thats just assumed....yet we have to bear this burden until everyone knows. My problem is I have to work myself up to coming out, I can't just do it on the spot when the conversation is right. Depending on your relationship with your friends, you could just drop it on them randomly instead of waiting for the perfect moment. I am only out to one of my friends and I just blurted it out to her in the middle of another conversation lol. It was awkward at first but it wasn't so bad.