1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm done. I don't like me. I need to stop fooling myself.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by D4rk Sp4rt4n, Sep 4, 2012.

1. D4rk Sp4rt4n

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi EC.

I know I must seem like the typical emotional closeted masculine gay guy who fell for his best friend, and I am, but I just really can't see myself living like this anymore.

My best friend. We've known each other for 8 years. He's known I am gay for two. After I told him, two years ago, our friendship fell apart. It fell apart because he was homophobic, had a lot of friends, and didn't really want to spend time with me. On my part, I was clingy, gay for him, and didn't have any real friends, he was my one and only.

Let's call him, A. We'll refer to me as, B.

I was really afraid that night. I was going to lose my only friend (he hadn't really enjoyed doing things with me except playing video games) because I was gay. I decided to tell him, the first person to learn about my secret, the secret that made me hate myself.

He assured me he didn't care, that he would always be friends with me.

I was a clingy bastard. I would want to do nothing but hang out with him, like we would do every summer. I would go to my grandfather's house and play videogames with A for the entire summer. And I had grown used to it. He had grown indifferent towards it, he had other friends, I was horrendously jealous.

The mixture of my family's crisis, my self hatred, and my best friend not wanting to spend time with me sent me into a spiral which eventually ended our friendship.

4 months after we ended the friendship, A called me, he apologized, I was just really happy to hear from him. We decided to hang out; he, his girlfriend, and myself.

It hurt so much to see the first person I fell in love with intimately with another person. After that long day of catching up and "having fun" I asked them to drop me off. I was hungover and didn't want to hurt seeing him with her any longer.

Shortly after, an incident happened where a good mutual friend was out of town, A was goon to surprise me by bringing our friend I my house and picking me up to hang out. A called my phone multiple times... I never got the phone call.

Me being my unforgiving self, full of paranoia, was furious. I called him a liar, he claimed I had no trust. This argument spiraled into another end of our friendship, his girlfriend also got into it, I had words with her too.

The worst part about all of this, is that he had no idea I was in love with him. He asked me the night, two years ago when I came out to him if I liked him, I was afraid I would be pushing it too far, and so I lied and told him "No, I used to, but not anymore."

I got a message from A's father 6 months ago. A's father sees me as his son, he was overjoyed because he was now a grandfather.

Congratulations to A and his wife on their newborn baby girl.

I masked my pain with hatred towards hate.

A's father told me he really hopes A and I can be friends again.

I speak to A's wife via Facebook, we are both quite apologetic, since we three were all friends prior to our falling out.

We make up.

She wanted to pick me up to see she and A, since I hadn't seen them for a year-and-a-half.

I go to their apartment: I see her, she's gained weight. I see A; he's gained weight as well, I instantly feel sorrow and regret.

Skipping to today.

A's marriage has problems, as do all marriages.

I am A's only friend, I'm his best friend.

He needs to speak to his wife but doesn't know how to break the news that he's sick of her bull shit.

I've been counseling A on how to deal with his wife (I know how women are, I know how to talk to them).

EC! I apoligise. This is a very long story.

In the end I'm done living, I really can't do this.

My first love. He's married. He's straight. He has a baby.

I help him with his marriage.

This pains me so much, EC, I don't want to live anymore.

People need me alive, so I can't kill myself. If I did, I would doom all those who rely on me to be there for them, including A.

Also. He still doesn't know I've loved him for 8 years. He knows I love him, but not in the same way he loves me. He loves me, I'm in love with him.

EC, I can do this no longer.

I pray one day while I'm jogging, I get mugged and killed. I'll fight back, I never go down without one.

---------- Post added 4th Sep 2012 at 11:27 PM ----------

Sorry for my bad spelling/grammatical errors, I'm on my phone so I just type.

2. Mogget

It's really common for unrequited, or formerly requited now gone, love to result in depression, especially in gay and lesbian people who aren't out and so have few people to talk to about it. That was certainly my experience. A failed relationship sent me spiraling into a deeper and deeper depression, and it was made far worse by the fact that I could only tell a handful of people about it.

My advice to you, and what I did, was to find people I could trust to talk to about what was going on, and to find a therapist or counselor. If you're having thoughts of suicide, finding a counselor is imperative, even if you're certain you won't act on those thoughts.

Recovery from depression is possible, I'm living proof. Feel free to ask here or in a PM if you have any questions or want further advice.

3. Mango

Hey there, D4rk!

Your friend seems like a good guy. Hey, but he's just a guy like so many other guys. So you have a crush on him. Big deal! People have crushes on people all of the time. Sometimes the crush is mutually shared and sometimes it's not! Your friend is lucky to have you as a friend. He probably wouldn't even mind having a hook up with you, just to try it out.

However, if he doesn't, don't waste your time. There are plenty of guys out there for you. Perhaps, you're just stuck on one note. You need to create a melody and start living your life.

Find someone who will help you to blossom into an even more beautiful person than you already are...You need someone who will love to suck the last drop of nectar from the root of your essence. Someone who finds your very essence fragrant and and alluring. Someone who will appreciate you, as much as you do him. You need a mutual reciprocal kind of love, not some clingy one way insufferable self-loathing kind or longing for a dream deferred.

If this guy doesn't love you or want you in the same way that you want him, then just move on!

Save your sweet love for someone truly deserving of it!

#3 Mango, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just to add to what Mogget said -

I would recommend setting some boundaries in terms of how close you're going to be to both of them as friends at this point in time. Given your situation, providing marriage advice and support might not be the best thing for you right now.

Normally I would also recommend telling this other person about your feelings, even if you don't expect them to reciprocate. This is mostly just because it puts all your cards on the table and helps them understand your behavior a lot, as well as set their own boundaries about what's going to be healthy for you. In this case, though, I'm not certain it would be a good idea - given the status of his marriage, it could easily come across the wrong way. But you know him best here, so it's up to you.

In the end, just try to respect him, his feelings, and the choices he's made - but don't forget to do the same for yourself.

5. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, this might echo some of the previous ones a bit, but it bears repeating:

Right now, it seems like he's your only chance at happiness, and that if you can't have him, you won't ever be happy yourself.
    But the real problem, IMO, is that you never should be dependant on just one person in the first place.

Don't get me wrong: it's OK to have a best friend that you're close to.
    But... if that's all you have, then he's more like a lifeline than a best friend. And as any mountain-climber could tell you: it's bad to only have one lifeline.

The best way of getting over unrequited love, is also to have something else to do than obsessing over it (and I obsessed over one of my straight friends for 8 years myself.. your story definitely sounds similar). Quite often that involves telling about it to other friends, and letting it all out.
    Don't get caught into a thinking of "only he understands me". This really is the time to tell a few other friends about what's going on.

You might also want to take a look at whether there's any GLBT groups near where you live. Going to one is a pretty intimidating prospect, but if you need support, there might be some people there who understand what this is like better than any straight person could.
    (obviously, EC is also a bit like that. So if you feel that talking about it helps, feel free to come back to this thread and post as often as you want!).

Last but not least: if life seems to lose all meaning, I do endosre Mogget's idea of getting a councilor. Those people are trained to banish dark thoughts, or find ways to overcome them, so it could be one other step on the road to getting over this.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand the basic premise. Falling for a friend, being jealous of his happiness when he finds it with somebody else. But I don't understand the decade-long fixation on this dead end. I don't know your backstory, so maybe there's a reason you're stuck in the closet years after this started going down, but if you've moved into "I want to die" territory, it certainly doesn't seem like it's done you much good. And if your Son of Heaven (and family?) are cool with your orientation, I'm betting plenty of other people will be, too.

Sometimes you have to hit the wall before realizing you're going the wrong direction. And when you do, the right move is to trn in a new direction.

You have a cool guy in your life. Who can be your friend but not your boyfriend. So keep him as such. You may need a break from him, to help get your head back in place. If he asks, be (somewhat) honest. "Those feelings I had for you were starting to return, so I think I need to take a break from you to get my head back in place."

Then, work on coming out. There's a whole world out there for you. Even for us masculine gay guys. And it kicks ass.

Lex