1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure how to proceed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sharp99, Sep 5, 2012.

1. sharp99

Seeking some advice on something I'm dealing with.

Have known this guy for about 1.5 years now and...well not exactly sure how to categorize our relationship. We met when i was buying hockey tickets off of him and became friends after that. Through talking it came out that he was bi and i was gay and we kinda bonded over it, but he was currently in a relationship at the time so nothing more than friends happened.

His previous relationship was complicated and eventually ended and a few weeks later we started getting intimate. It was awesome for the first few months, but having known him for about a year realized that i had developed feelings for him. So i talked to him about where he was at in it all and he said he didn't think he could do a relationship. He was only out to a few friends (told me he was not worried about his family knowing), but it came to to his work. He is a cop and the police force can be not the most open minded group of people when it comes to this kind of stuff. He said he wanted to keep seeing me that way we were, but i declined, saying it wasn't a good idea and that we should try and be friends.

He had already bought hockey tickets for a game a few days later and asked if i still wanted to go. I didn't really, was still feeling pretty crappy about everything but went anyways. After the game we started talking again (after a few beers in us) and i ended up apologizing for ambushing him (took the stance the i wanted an answer now) and kept talking for hours I'm a university student and was going to be headed home for the summer soon, so i suggested that we just keep going the way were going and then take the 4 months im gone to figure out what he wants and just keep in touch.

I recently just got back into town a week ago and saw him and nothing has changed. Over the summer he would tell me that he really liked me, and that he missed me alot and other stuff along those lines. We hang out all the time, we're exclusive sexually and I'm so happy with him, but I know we are going to have to talk soon again. But i don't know how or when i should bring it up. Should i let him approach the subject? We essentially are in a relationship already, he just hasn't labeled it as one, but yet talks about us in a future tense relating to certain subject. I have talked to a few friends about it, some saying wait a bit and others saying just stop seeing him altogether. The last one is hard because i see him as my best friend. If it wasn't for him and his support, it would have taken me much longer to come out to friends and family. I'm just not sure where to go from here now.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    M

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if I'm hearing you right, it sounds like the big issue here is something between him not being out and him not wanting to label it as a relationship - but if he's fine being open around his family, I'm guessing the bigger deal is the label. If that's the case, when you talk to him about this, how does he respond, specifically? Have you put it to him the way you did in the post - that it seems like for all practical purposes you two are basically in a relationship already?

Or, if I'm wrong, and it's the out status thing, that could be a different animal. Was coming to his work a trigger for this?

I'm also wondering how long it was between the end of his previous relationship and the time that you two started being intimate. You don't mention how long he was seeing this other person, but it's possible that he's carrying a lot of baggage from that experience - depending on the situation, people can be affected by breakups very differently, and sometimes for a long while after they're over.

It's hard to say what you should do at this point without more information, but whatever the case, if he's not willing to give you what you need - whether being a certain level of out together or calling it a relationship - then eventually you may have to move on, but how long it takes until you get to that point is entirely up to you.

3. sharp99

When we originally talk about a relationship, he didn't give me an answer right away. He would say things leaning towards a reltionship and things leaning away, and finally after a couple hours he said "It wouldn't work right now).

Thanks for mentioning the previous relationship (i forgot to add that in). We talked about that as well and it had lasted for 5 years and when i orginally asked him i wasnt thinking it was probably to soon. I guessed that had some part as well. The main thing in all of it was just showing him how i felt. It had been 9 months now since that relationship ended.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2012 at 05:47 PM ----------

As well i should mention he was the one that ended it.

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he's avoiding the subject of a relationship when you bring it up - and particularly if he's leaning one way or the other - he may very well feel ambivalent about it. At the risk of generalizing from a distance, if the two of you have been exclusively spending time together in couple-y ways (if not literally as a couple) for several months now, then I think it's safe to assume that he probably has feelings for you - but also that something is giving him pause or holding him back.

As for his last relationship - the fact that he ended it might tell you something, but it's virtually impossible to say what. Like I said before, people react to breakups in a billion different ways, and how it happens in the moment can often have very little to do with them. I've known situations where the breaker moved on right away and the breakee took ages to get over it, and situations where it was the exact opposite.

So if I'm understanding the math right, this guy dated someone for five years, ended it probably just after the holidays, then a few weeks later started spending time with you and is now exclusive again. Quite frankly, a few weeks isn't very long to get over a 5-year relationship - and I'm not just talking about not wanting to get back together, but rather about finding himself again, learning to let go of any worries/anxieties he carried out of that relationship (whether about himself or about the idea of dating in general), and thinking about himself as a potential partner for someone else. I'm not saying people never move on that fast, I'm just saying it would be unusual to do so in only a few weeks.

So, let me ask a few more questions: If he's not looking for a label, then what, exactly, does he push for in the situation with you at the moment? Does he act eager to spend time with you, and if so, what does he want to do during that time? Aside from at work, is there any other place that he seems reluctant to spend a lot of time with you at?

5. sharp99

I think all he pushes for is to spend time together. We do a wide range of things when we hang out: head to a pub, go out for a meal, see a movie, did a weekend trip once, spend time at my place or his place and sometimes one of us will stay the night. He doesn't seem to be reluctant to spend time anywhere. Just to note as well I only discussed with him once about a relationship and its been six months since then.

6. Mango

He's a cop! His lifeline is based largely upon his image and he's at the mercy of fellow officers while in the field. They all quite literally depend upon one another to live. In general, cops don't like us!

He in no way can afford to be outed! In a way, you represent a certain type of threat. That's especially if things go south and he becomes paranoid about you and the intimate little "dirty" details you possess concerning your relationship.

If I were you, I wouldn't even want a relationship. I would steer clear at all costs, from hence forth!

#6 Mango, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  7. jimL

It sounds like a good thing you have going. You say he is pushing for time to spend with you, well that says something doesn't it. Maybe he is just a little shy at the mention of the R word for whatever reason, who knows? Sometimes you just have to let relationships develop on their own time frame. Rarely are two people exactly alike and want the same thing in the same time frame. Give it time! I would just say have fun with what you have. With time maybe he will realize what a good thing you both have and want something more. Good luck.

---------- Post added 6th Sep 2012 at 07:23 AM ----------

Mango, don't you think this is a little harsh? I completely disagree with you. Your comments about cops is exactly what gay people have been dealing with for many years, generalizations. That's like saying that every gay guy out there dances around the streets in skimpy little pink shorts (as the media likes to portray us). I would say that for the majority of us, most straight people don't even know were gay. There are plenty of gay people out there in all walks of life, there are plenty of gay cops out there, and ALOT of nice ones. Sharp's guy is feeling like he can't come out for whatever reason, that doesn't mean he's a bad guy. He should continue his relationship as long as he is enjoying it, and they both want it.

8. Mango

I've been both physically assaulted and arrested for crossdressing before, on two separate occasions, in two different cities. Transgender experiences are not quite the same as yours might be. OTOH, perhaps it's just unpleasant memories that still haunt me. I know it was some time ago when these arrests occurred. However, I still see cops snickering and glaring at me, though...

Besides, just look at the logic of it all. The cop has already voiced a concern about his job. That means that he is seriously protective about his job-related image. If things go south with the relationship, how much trust is this cop going to have in the OP about not outing him?

Again, there's a certain risk taken when dating any closeted person. That's especially so, when that person is a cop...

PS.

I'd be willing to bet that gay cops experience much discrimination from other cops when on the job!

#8 Mango, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  9. jimL

Mango, I'm sorry that you have had such bad experiences with cops. I suspected that from your response. Sharp99's situation is different than yours. I think he can and should pursue his friendship/relationship with his guy.

Sharp99, what you and your friend do in your private lives is no one eases business. No one has to come out as straight....so why should he have to come out as gay. I spent most of my life in the closet and came out a little over a year ago. Does everyone know that I'm gay? Well, a lot do because I chose to tell a lot of people. That's because I work in a job where I am protected from any kind of discrimination, but have not always been there, hence how long it took me to come out. I'm lucky in that respect. Not everyone has that luxury.

So are you going to walk away form someone that you are so attracted too because he is not ready to come out? I wouldn't. Good friendships are not always easy to find. He sounds like a really cool guy. Let us know how it goes.

10. sharp99

Mango sorry to hear your experiences with cops have been awful, but i agree with jiml with that our experience are different. My dad is actually a cop as well for over 20 years and i have nothing but support from him, to the extent that his cop buddies know as well and have come up to me and say they are happy that i am happy.

I guess my question in all of this was if i should bring it up, or let him. It is gunna have to happen at some point though. But thanks for the suggestions so far and I will for sure keep everyone posted.