1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Proud1p4, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well this coming school year will be my last in middle school. I'm going to Grade 9, and here in Canada school goes up to Grade 12.

So in order to prepare ahead of time for the unknown, i was wondering if there were any other Canadian residents at this board (but please post your response regardless of citizenship) and if there are i would ask you this question.

In High School, i know it is manditory to take a shower post-physical education. My question is, are the stalls public (no-privacy) or have a curtain or stall of some kind.

I am aware that every school will probably be different and every province, even more different, but i hope to get a somewhat clear picture of what to expect. Merci, Blessed be.

2. Director

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    They still do that in Canada? I gotta say, I'm a bit surprised! I'm from Toronto and there's no rule about that. My first day of P.E. my teacher said we're welcome to take a shower if we like, and that nobody had used them in years. I've always thought that making them mandatory was completely stupid. Good luck to ya!

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's mandatory, it's certainly not mandatory Canada-wide because I certainly never had to take a shower after and I don't think I did ever. It sounds more like a local policy or at most provincial. Education is a provincial jurisdiction so that might be where it's coming from, although certainly in BC a lot of decision-making power has been devolved to local school boards in the last 10 years or so.

4. NACHO

I Didnt Know That It Was Mandatory!
    Well For Me I Should Be Afrfaid Because Im Kinda Shy When It Comes To Showering In Public! And Yeah Every Highschool Is Diferent Here In California Were I Live They Are Never Used Only Like After Practise But Durning P.e. Never Well Yeah A Couple Of Times When Me And So Friends Just Get The Head Went But No Nudes! So It Should Be Interesting Just Dont Take Your Boxers Off!

5. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was in High School, nobody used the showers, some people did, but then they showered clothed, and then changed in a corner when nobody was around. Same thing happened in Middle School. This one guy came into the locker room, went into the shower, and everyone dressing up back into their normal school clothing just watched and said. "He's taking a shower"

Going back to High School, I never used the showers because P.E. for me was always the last period of the day, so I could go home and take a shower after school. Its kind of rare these days, since I don't see it or hear about it much.

6. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Maybe im wrong, maybe they're not manditory...for the love of the gods i hope you're all right and it the same here. And i suck so much in gym class i basically pretend to be working hard, i almost never get sweaty. I hate gym, dont see the point in it, i wont ever need to know how to play volleyball, but if i do, ill teach myself in my own damn time...not in front of 30 other teens. And if i want to excercise for an hour, i'll do it outside school, alone and at night.

They shouldn't make gym manditory...gym supposed to be "fun" but its hell for me and my bestest friend emily, neither of us are any good and people generally make fun of me/us.

But back on subject, im not going to work my ass of in gym, i dont think its worth my energy or trouble. And if the gym teacher gives me heat, then ill give it right back...i have a very loose respect for authority (unless they show respect back).

7. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never worked hard in Gym, the only time that had made me beyond sweaty was having to do the 1 mile run on the track, which was beyond hard because we would do it on cold days which was the best, then do it on really hot days to where people wouldn't even make it to the end of it.

I'm not sure how hard Gym is now, but it basically wasn't that much of a sweaty time for me. There really was no need for me to use the shower.

8. Micah

In Australian highschools, Gym is known as P.E. (Physical Education). Basically, it covers a wide variety of topics, such as sexual education, fitness, healthy eating (as yes, there is sport too). I don't know - when you learn about dieting properly, and how your body works it nearly seems worth it :grin:

9. tired_of_lying411

Im from NS Canada, I go to public school and I have NEVER had to take a shower. In grade 6 they started making us change into gym clothes (for obvious reasons) and that has been a little awkward because not only am I nervous around guys, but Im also a little uncomfortable with my body. Anyway, Im going into grade 10 this year, and that means I get to choose whether I take gym or not, I chose NOT!! hahaha!

there are rumors that they may be bringing the mandatory gym back though (please no!) It wont affect my grade ten or eleven, but maybe 12, and mandatory grade 12 gym would be stupid, Ive got way more important stuff to do at school, like actual CLASSES! to me, gym was always something that could be done at home. I know theyre trying to lower obesity rates, but if a kid doesnt want to run, they wont. I have made a life-changing descision to be more physically fit and I do it on my OWN time. a few hours at scool a week isnt going to help ANYONE loose weight :grin:

(sorry for the rant)

10. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Join the club buddy.

But yeah, screw it, ive disobeyed that old hag of a gym teacher once before, i'll do it again if necessary (with a smile on my face)

11. NACHO

YEP ME TOO! I REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT MY P.E. GRADE THAT MUCH. ME AND MY FRIENDS WILL ALLWAYS DISOBEYED, I REMEMBER THAT MY FRESHMEN YEAR I HAD THIS TEACHER THAT I THINK HE WAS GAY BECAUSE HE WOULD SEND US TO THE OFFICE IF WE WERE WEARING A JACKET,SWEATER OR WHATEVER. BUT ME AND MY FRIEND WOULD ALLWAYS DO IT BECAUSE IT WAS IN FIRST PERIOD SO IT WAS COLD BUT AFTER LIKE 20 TIMES HE TOLDS US HE WAS GOING TO GIVES US AN F HE STOPED I GUESS HE WAS TIERD OF US NOT LISTENING. SO tired_of_lying411 IF YOU THINK YOUR NOT OK WITH YOUR BODY FOR ANNY REASON JUST DO WHAT EVER YOU WHANT AND DONT LET OTHER DESIDE FOR YOUR SELF.

12. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear that tired_of_lying411, when I was in High School, I had only two years of P.E. the worst thing of it all was the mile run that we had to do, I would always struggle to run and get in at a good time before. I usually got B's out of the class because the teacher was nice. When I first attended High School I would start gaining more and more weight, it was starting to become that I went from 180 to about 250 pounds, kind of shocking to hear such a thing. I've dropped my weight to 220 pounds.

But then raised back up to 236. Yup, I'm fat and unattractive. Anyways, P.E. can be hard, but when you graduate from High School you don't have to worry about it, unless you want to take it in College. I'm not taking it in College, but I have a choice to.

13. NACHO

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN Brandon. I TOOK P.E. MY FRESHMEN YEAR AND HERE IS MANDATORY TO TAKE IT FRESHMEN YEAR. AND I HAD TO RUN THE MILE AND IT WAS KINDA STUPID BECAUSE IT WAS IN THE MORNING EVERYONE WAS COLD SO THE TIMINGS FOR THE MILE IT WAS I THINK 8 MINUTES TO GET AN A SO I DID WELL LOL.

14. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Well, I guess I'm the freak here...I actually kind of like P.E./excercising and have chosen to take it next year even though at my high school it's not required. There are however athletic requirements where you have to do a certain amount of sports to graduate and it's complicated because they group in plays as a sport but its a "non-athletic" one and so in grades 9+10 you have to do 5 out of 6 seasons, 3 of which are athletic and grades 11+12 you have to do 4 of 6 seasons, 3 of which are athletic.

And no, here in the US you don't have to take showers after sports/pe. But I can really only speak for my school because it's private so it runs on its own rules.

15. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well if the Americans said no im even more sure now that Canada wouldn't enforce it. I mean i'm sure the government recognise the gay youth population now more than ever and i wouldnt imagine them enforcing such a silly rule.

16. William1

I dont understand the problem. Ru worried about ppl seeing u naked? Dont worry coz no one looks.

At my school we all shower in the morning in a big shower room with sort of dividers but no doors, and like if theres lots of boys there u have to wait ur turn. Evryone is naked for a short time, but nobody cares.

Like Im small and skinny but I dont care that evrybody looks better than me. Like were only there to shower.

So chill, I dont think neone will stare if u have to be naked. :icon_smil

17. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

With all due respect, please don't tell me to chill, im not mad or anything, it's just a pet peeve of mine (i just hate the expression & being told to "chill"), sorry. But yeah, im not worried about people seeing me, im worried about seeing them, i mean, its almost more of a nightmare than a fantasy. I'm not one to respect whats "off-limits" so it'd just be too hard for me to be in there with that many goods.

And secondly, i have major body image issues, kinda like that of an average teenage girl, so, thats a secondary reason why.

It kinda shocks me why you wouldnt see me in a room with 30 naked teenage boys problematic:lol: .

18. William1

O sorry, I just sort of picked up that word 'chill', and ur the second guy who said he dosnt like it. So I wont use it nemore. :icon_redf

O I see, like I never thought of that, but I know what u mean. LOL, lots of boys get hard and stuff, but evrybody pretends not to notice. And like Im so used to that stuff I never even think about it. Sometimes that happens to me but I just make sure I run to the shower and back, and like I wear a towel when Im standing around. And like I have to live with these guys so Im too scared to ever touch neone.

I dont understand about body image, but u only got to look at me. Im small and skinny and funny looking, so I bet ur Brad Pitt next to me.:icon_bigg

19. tired_of_lying411

eee.. im not a big fat slug who sits around and wines about gym class. Its not that I dont like exercise, I just hate school exercise. In fact, Im actually taking charge of my weight, which is at an all time low and getting in shape. Im starting by running an hour every other day, and i keep going further and further each time, its great! ive really made a life change and I love it. I am finally turning myself into the person wanna be.

It would be silly to be gay and not able to meet of all the hot guys out there. I want to look perfect and have someone who looks just as good! Im 15 and 145lbs, I dont really care about the number, its all about the way i look to me.

The way I see it, I have 3 more years to get hot so when I move away from home I will be the way I want to be.

thanks for all the support tho.

20. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Congratulations on taking control of your life!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap ...running for one hour straight is pretty impressive, and if you keep that up for three years then you'll be ultra-hot runner boy by the time you get to college.

I personally find that running (especially by myself) is really fun. Not so much the starting out or the act but really the stopping (thats always fun :slight_smile:) and the results...especially when you find yourself stopping in front of mirrors and thinking "wow, i look HOT!!" and you can feel all good about yourself...especially if you dont have a sister training for the marathon *cough**cough*