1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTM name advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Myra48, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Myra48

ok, so im pretty sure that i am ftm transgender. i told my grandma a few days ago, and went to a therapist for the first time yesterday. it was pretty amazing to talk to the therapist about this. My grandma on the other hand is not accepting it at all. she only sees me as gay since i like girls, so doesn't understand that i dont want to be one and that i hate my body as a girls body. any way, i want to settle on a name. i cant use it yet, i just want one to refer to in my head, if that makes sense. so my top three names are phoenix, sky, and shane. i like phoenix because the meaning is from a mythological bird who had a new start or new beginning, so that really makes sense. i like sky because its kind of like the sky's the limit of what you can do when you want to. and i like shane because it rhymes with my birth name. the only problem is that they all can be girl names and i dont like that. i want it to definitely sound like a guys name. so tell me what you think. also feel free to suggest other names :slight_smile:

2. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sky is pretty but definitely makes me think of a girl. Phoenix, could be either. Shane is one I always thought of ad fairly masculine, I didn't even know it could be a girl's name.

3. J Snow

I would pick Shane, if it were not for just being able to think of Shane from The Walking Dead >.< But here is my advice on all of them.

1. Pheonix is kind of just too out there for me. It doesn't sound like a typical name, and I don't really see it as a masculine name.
    2. The only Sky I know of is female. I think of it as a girl's name.
    3. Shane seems like the only masculine name of the three.

I personally would say Shane just because its only one I think of as a guy name.

I am actually kind of trying to pick a name too. My current contenders are Michelle, Lauren, and Alyssa if you feel like giving me your feedback too? =P

4. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Pretty much this.

5. Myra48

I like Lauren :slight_smile: what would be your middle name? :slight_smile:

6. DoriaN

Are you blond?

Thor, def'n

7. Ianthe

Neo means "new."

Zion means "highest point."

Kenneth means "born of fire."

I would avoid Shane, because of the association with the character on The L Word.

8. Mercy

Mercy Guest

i love the name Jordan

9. Bree

I like Shane for a guy's name. It's the only one I see as being really a boy's name. I can't see Sky as a boy's name (although Skyler might work), and I know two Phoenixes, one boy and one girl.

10. RainDreamer

11. I'm not saying this will hold true for every trans person, but I used to hate the idea of having a unisex name. I think after becoming more comfortable with myself in general, it started to not matter. I've now had my name legally changed for two (?) years to an androgynous name, and I'm quite content with it. You listed those names, so it's obvious there's something that attracted you to them. Why not try them out? You don't have to start filling out the paperwork now, but pick one and use it, even if it's just online, like on EC. You might find that you actually don't like it, but on the other hand, you might really enjoy it. In the end, it's your name, and believe me, it's a pain in the ass emotionally, financially, and legally to change it once, never mind twice if you don't go with your gut instinct. There's no rush.

12. DoriaN

Good advice, and to add to your story I'm in a similar stance.
    My real name is Dorian, which is unisex.
    I kinda love my name and since its unisex I wasn't going to change, but I've been thinking and now I'm not sure what to do ><

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I vote for Shane. And I am glad that your therapist was useful to talk to!

14. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dorian is a pretty cool name in my opinion, I wouldn't change it.

15. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

If your real name is Dorian, I would use something similar sounding but with a much more masculine association. What do you think of Damian/Damien?:slight_smile:

16. Ianthe

Dorian seems more like a boys name than a girls to me anyway, actually.

17. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It is mainly a male name, considering Oscar Wilde invented it for his male character Dorian Gray.

18. Ianthe

Yes, I hadn't realized he invented the name, but that was my main association with it.

19. Mango

I like Phoenix!

20. Curly

It took me a long long time to settle on a name. I found that it was easier when people "name you", or maybe it was just the right name. The name I chose, I passed by it in baby naming books a million times. but when a friend of mine said it outloud at me, it just clicked.

Yea, I liked the name shane, but then it kinda reminds me of the character in the L word. Skyler was one of my options I wanted to go with. I love that name!!