1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationships

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hcss11, Sep 7, 2012.

1. hcss11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, I'm a 23 year old guy from New Jersey. I came out to my folks a while ago but have bipolar + anxiety problems, and though im in therapy, etc. I have no idea how to enter a relationship with someone. What's worse, I've just started developing vitiligo (the skin condition Michael Jackson had) and my bipolar medication makes me gain weight! What do I do? Will anyone ever love me?

2. Chandra

Hi, and welcome to EC!

I'm sorry to hear that you're confronting a whole host of different problems. Looking for a new relationship with someone is almost always an exercise in insecurity, even without additional worries. It sounds like you feel pretty down about yourself right now, and I understand how difficult that can make the idea of trying to bring someone else into your life.

Have you had relationships in the past (with either men or women), or is this all new to you? Have you tried going on casual dates with people?

3. Val

Val

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go Jersey! I'm originally from NJ.

Yes. You will find someone to love you - I truly believe there is someone out there for everyone. Someone will end up loving you for your heart ... you know, even the hottest physically-looking person can turn ugly when their bad heart is revealed. It may take time - so be patient.

I have a question for you ... my BFF has a psychosis (they're throwing around bipolar; schizophrenia, ADHD/Depression) ... did your diagnosis have any effect on your realization that you were gay? I ask because I wonder if my BFF's mental problems (which have really only started 'showing' since she admitted she was 'in love' with me) are caused by her realization of who she is. From what you know about your disease, is something like this possible?

I appreciate any insight you might have ...