1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feelings of perpetual apathy.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SriManayaDasan, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Lately, I've felt nothing but apathy to most things. Aside from college and my close friends, I really just don't care about much, if anything, else.

When my parents speak to me, I just don't care. I dread the idea of having to go my minimum-wage retail job, which I technically don't need as long as I penny pinch. I'm sick of hearing my sisters problems, especially since she brought most of them on herself. When I have to talk to people in which I don't want to, I struggle to actually have a conversation that doesn't show me obviously not caring.

This is not my usual demeanor. These feelings were prevalent in High school (especially the last two years), but disappeared once I entered college. In the past 2/3-ish weeks, they came back. Aside from my job, which I've grown to truly dislike in the past couple of months, I don't know why I'm feeling so apathetic towards most other things.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

2. Mogget

A large amount of apathy is a common symptom of depression. There's a good chance that your college offers free or reduced-rate counseling to its students. If so, I'd sign up for an appointment.

3. sanguine

has the thought of genuinely not caring ever poped up?

its natural, especially when someone has alot of problems of their own to take care of, or are just sick of seeing other people complain when they probably wouldnt/havent cared for you in return.

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to feel apathetic towards everyone, but I realized that it was just a symptom of my depression. If u don't express empathy than you don't care about how u make others feel emotionally. Why do u think you're feeling this way?

5. BNQ2012

That sounds a lot like depression to me. You may want to see if talking to a doctor or therapist helps. Sometimes they can help you get things sorted out or at least point you in the right direction. Good luck!

6. Waterlilly

That definitely sounds like depression. You should really see a doctor or therapist. The thing with depression is that it needs no cause or trigger. As someone who has dealt with severe depression and apathy, I can say from experience that the best thing to do, in addition to seeking help, is to stay in the world. Keep your job, interact with other people, because if you quit and withdraw you could end up having nothing to get you out of bed in the morning, nothing to keep you going. That is a very bad place to be and once you are there it is incredibly hard to get out.

My advice: fake it 'til you make it.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you sound a lot like me. I call it realism.

But if your case it sounds more like you have your own stuff to worry about. You're in college and meeting new people, things sounds good, so why would you want someone's bad vibes to bring you down?

And as far as going to a min wage job, that you don't need, most college kids hate going to their min wage job, on top of school.

I know some people here have said this sounds like depression but being stressed at school, and working a job, and dealing with people's B.S. seems like a lot, well it's is.