1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bringing up the topic

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by heyou, Sep 8, 2012.

1. heyou

heyou Guest

Uh, hai. :3

So, I'm a 15 year old gay guy in the closet. My friends are mostly male and usually act a bit homophobic towards LGBT people, but I want to have a better idea of how they'd react if I came out, but I'm not sure about how to bring the LGBT topic up. Best idea I have is to talk about this lesbian girl in my classroom, but I'm also too afraid that if I insist on the topic too much or act supportive people will automatically assume I'm gay.

Also, I have a crush on this guy and I really believe he's gay but in the closet, but every time the topic is mentioned he gets as awkward as me and don't say much about it. I want him to know that (if he turns out to be gay) he could feel comfortable to come out to me but again I'm too scared to bring the topic up. I also want to know if he'd be supportive if I come out.

2. kizza111

I've been in this position... I guess I still am in some ways.

Bringing up the lesbian girl seems like a good idea to me, I don't think you would need to be too pushy to get people to talk about it, especially if you bring up the idea of "hot lesbians" etc (though that'll just push you further in the closet, which may not be what you want to do). Just say something like "I can't believe there's a lesbian in our class, do you guys find it weird?".

As for your crush, I was in the exact same position and never really solved it... All i can really advise is to try and get closer to him, talk to him more and hang out with him more, if you're both gay and he likes you too then you'll both begin to figure it out until it ends in a dramatic loving kiss in the middle of the school! Ok so that might be a bit too hopeful but you get the idea. ^_^

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although you're too young to vote. You could bring up the upcoming election, that's what did when I came out to my friend's Dad. I'm not sure where you live, but it could work; then again, I wasn't really interested in politics at your age. If that doesn't work, bring up gay characters from your favorite TV show. And then casually say, it's nothing wrong with being gay because I am. That may be too straighforward, but it takes a lot of courage to come out.

Now, about your crush, do you like magazines at all? I used to have a subscription to Maxim and other mens' magazines and carried them around with me while drooling over the pictures. You could buy GQ or a magazine with men in it and look at in while he's around, but make sure he notices. Good luck!

#3 pinklov3ly, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012