1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Come Out to Biggoted Parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mad1022, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Mad1022

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, my parents are homophobic bigots. And I'm trans. And possibly bi - but mostly trans. I know I need to tell my parents I'm trans, but they are NOT kind and supportive parents. Any tiny mistake I make, they just kill me for. I have no idea how to come out at them right now. I know my best option is probabally to wait 'till I move out for college, but I feel like it's eating at my soul and destroying me...so how, HOW am I supposed to come out to my biggoted parents? By the way, I have no other adults to talk to. No teachers, relatives, or counselers. I know I need a therapist, bur my parents wouldn't believe me and would get really pissed if I asked. So, anyway, I have no idea how to come out to my parents...:confused:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What exactly is your situation that you have no other adults to talk to? If you do have any access even to something like a guidance counselor at a school, they might be able to set you up with a professional counselor and/or recommend it to your parents. If they're really unwilling to listen to you, then the suggestion might be more successful if it doesn't come from you.

I would say a couple things might be a good idea to set up beforehand - if you really expect a bad reaction, you might want to set up a sort of backup plan to give everyone time to cool off separately for a while.

I would also suggest being very clear and committed to what you come out to them as. Start with being trans, and if they ask you if you're attracted to guys or girls, feel free to tell them you're not sure yet - just don't tell them something that you might have to backtrack on later. Ultimately, if you have to change something you told them, then you have to change it, but if it's going to be a struggle for them to begin with, then the fewer revelations, the better.

To start with, though, what do you think their reactions will be, if you had to predict?

3. Mad1022

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Um, my mom would gasp, my dad would stare dumbfounded, and my mom would say, "You are not serious." Then I'd quickly explain to them about me being trans and ask them to accept me for who I am. My dad would demand I tell him how I know what transsexual even means (they are very, very protective) and my mom would fly into a fit of rage.
    And I have no adults because I am very socially awkward, my guidance counselar is, um, not good, and I have a deep fear that my favorite teacher who is like a mother to me is homophobic. :/