1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to drop "subtle" hints

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Realguy, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Realguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi [Everyone!

I am new to the site and I'm so glad I found it! A little about me, I am a college student in Indiana, 22, and at this point in my life, I am exploring my sexuality, but one thing is for sure I am not straight. I am not out to anyone, although I am sure some people probably already know.

Although I know I've not been straight for years, I first acted on it during my freshman year of college. I've had a total of two sexual encounters with guys... the main problem is that I feel like my gaydar is dead. I don't know the signs at all... or how to "give off" vibes. Just the other day I was in the bathroom and this guy literally fiddled with toilet paper until I was done using the bathroom and made an interesting form of eye contact and smiled hard. I was very uncomfortable with this and looked at the ground and slightly grinned back.

So, there is this guy I work with. I have no idea why I am so fascinated with him. I have been making subtly comments to him (I complimented his blue eyes a few times and always make small talk with him). The other day while eating, I caught him staring right at me and instead of glancing away he smiled and waved at me…I was at his place the other night talking to his roommate and saw him literally staring at me. I wouldn’t say we are great friends, but we always party together and I always see him at work. If nothing is there I am fine with that, but does anyone have any ideas how I can be subtle while trying to make it obvious? I searched the board and didn’t get much back except for the eye contact, which were in most the posts I read.

2. ForceAndVerve

Hey! Welcome to EC!

I'm kinda jealous that your getting so much attention. Lucky you!

Whilst staring is good, if you want to move up, you can try smiling at them, laughing at thier jokes, try starting to get in phyical contact, patting them on the back, poking them in a joking fashion, messing up their hair. Try jsut being closer to them, ie if you sit next to them, sit closer than you usually would, but like you said, subtly is the key, dont plonk yourself up against them lol.

It depends how close you are to them and how far you think you can go.

That's all I can think of right now, But I'm sure I'll come up with more lol.

3. Mercy

Mercy Guest

i always say I love mermaids and rainbows and fairys ba hah

4. gobadgers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Had a lot of these situations in college. Honestly the best thing was just to get really drunk or really stoned and see what happens. You get shot down, you get shot down.

Obviously not subtle, but sometimes it's better to rip off the Band-Aid and find out if there's a real possibility of hooking up with the dude

Does the guy go to the same school as you?

5. coming out

coming out Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know where you are coming from. I'm sure some of my friends know I'm gay. I'm still having trouble coming to terms and acepting I'm gay. I have been showing more sigins. Like at the gym ,taking a long time to dress and get ready. Been to a few gay bars where someone may know me. By all means go for it