1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have any same sex heterosexual friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by core34510, Sep 9, 2012.

1. core34510

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My biggest worry about coming out is that guys won't feel comfortable with being friends with me. Is this a big problem for anybody else?

Just want to hear from somebody who is open about their sexuality.

2. Wayward Girl

It might be different with me since I was a girl worried about coming out to girls. A few of my friends acted a little weird at first, but they all stuck by me in the end when they realized that it didn't mean our friendship had to change. Just try hard to not make a big deal out of it and don't act awkward about the whole thing. If you act chill then they'll act chill.

3. john1984

I can't speak for everyone but for me it was no problem at all. I don't have any gay friends at all they are all straight guys and a few girls. I don't feel like i'm missing out on anything either i'm kind of happy with the way things are. Even one guy who always said terrible things about gay people has been surprisingly ok with it. I know i'm lucky though because from what i hear it isn't this way for everyone.

4. Dummy

Well I'm out to all the people I hang out with and that includes a lot of girls. They're all ok with it and are comfortable. Ok maybe one time a girl didn't want to change her clothes in front of me but I get that... That's what she would have done if I was a heterosexual guy. Maybe the thing that makes me uncomfortable is that they are TOO comfortable. I think that if I was a heterosexual guy they would not be this comfortable which makes me uncomfortable because I don't like thinking about my friend's bodyparts and so on. But it's ok most of the times... I believe it's a bit easier with girls though. Guys tend to be a little more homophobic, at least in my country... To answer the question in the titlle:Yes I have many same sex heterosexual friends.

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have lots - in fact, the majority (though not all) of the friends I spend time with are hetero. I'm not awkward to them and they're not awkward to me - I haven't had any trouble whatsoever.

Quite frankly I wouldn't want my guy friends to change in front of me either - it did happen once and I was actually a little uncomfortable. :slight_smile: So I think there's a difference between having appropriate boundaries and not being accepting.

6. sanguine

All my friends in real life are heterosexual males, (one bisexual female who happens to be my best friend) I am yet to meet an actual gay man or women

And I totally understand your fear about coming out, from personal experience once the guys knew, half of them tried to prove their 'straightness' by commenting on some girls boobs or ass, one of them even thought I was interested in him (yea right even the girls wouldnt do you) the other half were more like yea what ever, no one gives a shit lets play some games.

All in all they are all cool about it, my only advice is that hopefully you have made the right choices in friends, and that you have made a good impression of yourself as a person to everyone.

7. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I may not be 'open' but I am out to my two best guy friends. Both are very accepting about it and both are straight. My friend Matt, straighest guy you'll meet, actually does give advice on guys to me and will help comfort me. Alex, well he's like a brother to me, he's cool with it too and will joke around with me about it. As long as you know they're your friends, they'll most likely be accepting.

8. dreamcatcher

90% of my friends have always been straight females.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have more straight male friends than female friends and gay male friends combined. I had a straight couple over for dinner last night, and I've got four straight guys coming over on Thursday to play Wii. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Tails Luver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't worry about that. I may not be open, but all of my friends in real life that I've come out to are straight, and they don't mind me being bi. Unless your friends are bigots and homophobes, then I guarantee you they won't mind.

11. julia

100% of my close friends are straight. And I highly doubt any of them will stop being friends with me once I come out to them.

12. needshelp

about almost all my friends are straight guys.

13. iBlakexo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have always had a mix of male and female friends however i am a lot closer to my female friends as the majority of my interests are feminine. However i do have many straight male friends who fortunately remained friends after i came out. We still hang out, talk etc. the only difference is they no longer ask for my opinion when discussing hot chicks and stuff :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. FashionDisaster

Two of my best male friends, and roommates, know I'm gay and are completely cool with it and nothing has changed between us.

Only one thing has changed with a third male friend of mine. He likes to threaten to surprise flash his penis at male friends of his to try to freak them out. Once I came out to him, he realized that wouldn't work so doesn't do that to me anymore. That might also be because the one time he tried it after I came out, I just smiled and told him to whip it out :slight_smile:.

I won't promise that things will always go that easy for you, I go to a pretty liberal school, but I think that you will be able to find friends that won't care.

15. justjoshoh

I am mostly immersed in the LGBT culture, due to my job, volunteer efforts, etc. But, I do have straight friends. Remember, that just because you come out to them doesn't change who you are. It is my experience that friends, typically, realize that and carry on as usual.

16. gobadgers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yea. I didn't start coming out until college started, by which point I had made pretty much all straight friends. They were all cool with it.

One thing you're probably going to run into -- some straight friends will say they are cool with it but will have a hard time acting normal if you openly discuss your gayness around them.

Some of these friends get used to it and it's totally fine, some remain a little awkward when the topic is brought up. While you can ignore it for a while, it's going to eventually cause you to drift apart. You'll need to address those problems on a case-by-case basis.

17. prism

Honestly, it depends on the friend. I told three of my closest (straight) female friends. They were all super cool about it, but I had a drunken make-out session with one and we basically destroyed our friendship.

The other two don't treat me any differently, which is one of the most relieving feelings ever. It's not your fault if your friends aren't comfortable with it. I truly believe that a person who is completely secure with their own sexuality will not care about someone else's, so it's their fault for making it awkward.

18. timo

Yes, most of my friends are. I came out to some of them too, and they were completely cool with it. Nothing's changed between any of us, which is how it should be. It shouldn't have to make any difference.

I don't even have any gay friends. I do know some gay guys, but they're completely different from me. Different interests etc. There's no point in hanging out with them.

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have never lost any friends over my disclosure that I am bisexual.

20. cscipio

Nearly all of my friends are straight males, they know my orientation and are perfectly fine with it. I'm extremely lucky because I've not faced a single bad reaction so far.