1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice on moving long distance.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Sep 9, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

Hi guys,

So as time goes by things are getting worse and worse with my mom in terms of arguments. At the same time, she keeps bouncing back and fourth between not speaking to me or being sort of nice and telling me that I need to move out or that she wishes to evict me.

Before things got so bad I wanted to move out, not just out of the house but out of the province. I want to move to either Halifax (about a 3 day car drive from here) or Ottawa (2-ish hour drive) because those are the places where I have other family members. Halifax as far as I know is pretty queer friendly, Ottawa, not as much from what I know.

My questions are these:

Should I get a job first or get an apartment? I don't exactly have the funds to fly/take a bus out to those areas for every interview or viewing. I don't know how to get around this.

How do I move my pets? Do I absolutely have to take a plane because of my animals, or are there bus companies that allow pets? I'm transporting a fish, cat and two rabbits.

Is it cheaper to get a moving company for my stuff, or paying a relative/friend to help me transport my stuff with a trailer or truck?

I can't think of anything else right now, I work for a nationwide retail company so I am planning to transfer within the company, then try and get a management position OR another, better paying job while also going part time to school.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm also considering rooming with relatives until I can find a place of my own.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you can room with a relative first, that'll be ideal. Of course, they'll have to put up with your cat and rabbits. (The fish shouldn't cause much issue in any direction, other than the fact that moving a full fishtank is damned heavy.) But that'll buy you some time (and some financial wiggle room) while you look for both a job and a place to live.

If you can get a friend or relative to move you and your stuff, that will definitely save you a ton of money and hassle. You might look into renting a truck, having him/her drive you and your possessions to your new location, and then driving the truck back. That's what my partner did when he moved here.

Lex

3. Markio

I think getting an apartment first might work better. A lot of jobs seem to require people to apply in person, so you will have to be in the area to do that. Plus most jobs require an in-person interview at some point.

It sounds like Ottawa is a more manageable distance from your mom's house, but you're concerned about the queer-friendliness? Check online to see what organizations or resources are available in that area.

I'm also trying to move to a city far from home, and I've tried searching for jobs online before finding a place to live. That doesn't seem to be working, as most jobs ask for in-person applications, and the one employer I've heard back from wanted me to come there for the interview. I think I'm going to have to move there first before I can get a job. I have an aunt that lives 4 hours away from the city: is that close enough to warrant contacting her to see if I could stay with her? I also have some vague friends in the city... I'm uncertain what to do at this point, too.

4. pitabread514

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would be very surprised that Halifax has a more thriving gay community then Ottawa. First of all, I am from Ottawa originally. There has been massive development in Ottawa's Gay Village, mostly centered around Bank Street. I would say it's pretty respectable and people are pretty much in the open about it. Over time it just keeps growing and growing, there is continuing construction on to this day!

I think Ottawa is a nice city. Plus, it may be more of a viable option for you as you are living in Montreal. Should you ever change your mind and return, you are always closer to home. I would also recommend looking for an apartment on the Quebec side of Ottawa (like Gatineau) as they are much much cheaper then Ottawa yet practically the same city!

I am not aware of buses that take animals aboard - I've never seen it. I am also not sure I ever remember even seeing this on the train. Can you take a fish aboard a flight? Another thing to think about!

Anyhow, I'd give Ottawa a go. I've been to Halifax, not a big fan.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd go for Ottawa as well, simply because Ontario is a much more populated province, and there will be more opportunity there than in Nova Scotia.

I think I'd be inclined to go with Lex's plan, if you can stay with relatives for a couple weeks until you have a job. It's definitely true (except for high-end, managerial type jobs) that it's nearly impossible to get someone to hire you without seeing you in person, so you're going to have to be there to look for work.

I think, but am not certain, that Greyhound would allow you to transport animals in carriers in the cargo hold, provided the outside ambient temperature is OK for them to travel. Failing that, if you're talking a 2 hour drive, you should be able to get a one-way rental truck and take the animals with you in the cab.