1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom said she wished I had never been born

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jared, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Jared

So most of my life my mom has been leaning on me for emotional support, and lately I've been trying to tell her that it needs to stop, or at least be cut back. So we were having a fight about it this morning and I was repeatedly told how cold I am to her since I don't want to be her emotional support and because I generally have control over my emotions and don't show emotion. She eventually got furious and told me to leave her house and as I was walking out she told me that she hated me and wished she had never gotten pregnant with me so she could have left my dad.:tears: After that I lost my cool since part of the reason I hated myself for a long time was that I felt guilty I was born since my mom used to say she only said with my dad was for me and I felt like her life would have been better if I hadn't been born.

I then said some things I probably shouldn't have said, like telling her that I felt like she never cared when I tried telling her I was suicidal in high school and that I felt like I was always the one who was there for her, but she wasn't there for me. I definitely shouldn't have said it the way I did, but I was so hurt that she said she wished I hadn't been born and I guess I wanted to hurt her. She then told me that I no longer had a home or a mom and was getting ready to kick me out, but when she saw that I basically didn't care, she backtracked and started apologizing. Even though things have calmed down, I still can't believe she said that and I'm really upset and beginning to think I won't be able to have a relationship with my mom for a while after this. I feel horrible about saying that I think that she doesn't care. I'm honestly not sure how much she really didn't care and how much I'm making it out to be worse than it was, since I was really depressed for a long time and I don't how much of it I'm remembering through the lens of my depression and that scares me. :tears: Sorry to keep ranting on here, I just had to tell someone before I explode. Only two more weeks until I'm back in LA (!) but it'll be a long two weeks.

2. J Snow

I'm sorry that you had to endure this kind of treatment (*hug*)

First of all, you are no responsible for your mother staying with your father. She was the one that was involved in an unhealthy relationship, and everything that happened was a byproduct of her decisions. For her to shift the blame on to you is incredibly immature, and I hope you won't let it effect you.

Secondly, you have absolutely no reason to feel guilt for anything you said. After a parent says something that destructive and hurtful to you, you should not feel responsible for anything you may have said, no matter how bad. Though I doubt it could have been any worse than what she said to you anyway.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your mother is not just emotionally needy, but emotionally manipulative as well. It sounds like she's willing to say whatever if she thinks it'll get the reaction she wants. She pulled out the "I wish you were never born" AND the "I'm kicking you out" cards at the same time, but then pulled them back into the deck (sorta) when she found they weren't having the desired effect.

Does she care? Probably to some degree. But she obviously doesn't care about hurting your feelings if she feels she can get the desired response by doing so. Given that, I'd say pulling away is probably the smartest move.

Lex

4. rg93

Sometimes we say things that we don't mean when we are angry. I think that the saying goes for both of you. It's likely that she feels sorry for saying what she said as well.

But for some reason, I think that now that you both have it out of your system, it can only go up hill from here. Maybe you should spend some quality time with your mom within these last 2 weeks of your stay?

Because even after all this, she still is your mom and you are still her son. Maybe she just needs to remember that.

5. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As Lex said, it sounds like she's a very manipulative person. Perhaps it would be good to give her some space after all this and maybe on reflection she'll realize how much you've done for her. Just don't take what she's said personally, because it sounds like she's got a great deal of pent-up emotions.

In the meantime, I hope, if you haven't already, you'll be able to talk to someone in person soon and that you're feeling better. :slight_smile:

6. castle walls

I'm sorry to hear that this happened. (*hug*) If my mother were constantly leaning on me for emotional support while ignoring my feelings, I would try to put a stop to it as well.

Your mother made the decision to stay with your father. Your birth did not force her. The decisions she made aren't your fault. The fact that she is blaming you for decisions she made is incredibly unfair.

I think some space might be a good idea. It would give the both of you a chance to calm down

7. Jim94

My dad said that he wished that they made abortion while they could.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're her son. You are not supposed to be her emotional support. She didn't sign that contract when she decided to have you. You have been doing so for a while because you're a good person, but even good people have a limit. You're reaching that limit. If she can't handle that, then she's saying she refuses to respect your limits. And to top it off by saying you should have never been born and that she wants you out of the house was unconscionable.

I think that she's probably not worth contacting for a while. I'd give her a month to settle down, and then you and she can have an adult conversation about what was said (in which I recommend that you do not apologize), and then things can go from there.

All in all, I am sorry that your mother behaved like that; so hurtful and terrible.

9. Salazar

Awwh, I feel bad for you (*hug*)

I definitely would have walked out after what she said to you, and I think you were completely justified in what you said. Maybe it will make her step back and think.

10. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry, here...you need a (*hug*)

No parent in their right mind should ever say that to their child; that's pretty low of her to say that to you. I'm a mother to 3 boys and I could never imagine telling any of them that I wish they had never been born. There have been times where I've been emotionally unstable--due to me trying to accept being gay. Thank God for my wonderful parents, brother and sisters who have helped me so much. I'd never burden my boys with my emotional problems nor would I ever take it out on them. I chose to have them, and while it's okay for your Mom to want emotional support from you, it should be to a certain extent. You're only one person and there's only so much that you can do.

I don't think your relationship with your Mom will ever be the same again and I'm so sorry. Perhaps, counseling will work, but once you're ready. You have us, here at EC and we're all here for you. You and your Mom need some time apart and those 2 weeks should fly by. Try keeping yourself busy by going to the library--I'm a nerd :grin:

If you ever need to talk, I'm here for you; my phone is literally attached to my hand :lol:

#10 pinklov3ly, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  11. Jared

Thanks for all the support guys (&&&)

So now she's trying to be nice, but if she thinks I'm going to forget this anytime soon or go back to being her emotional support, she's in for a surprise. But on the plus side it might make the next two weeks tolerable if she's trying to be nice, but I have a feeling it'll stop when she realizes that things aren't going to go exactly the way she wants them too. She's already trying to make me her emotional support system, I'm not sure she grasps that I mean it when I tell her that I can't handle it anymore, I'm in counseling for my anxiety and depression and this isn't helping.

Also, she made an appointment to go see a counselor, thank goodness she needs it. I just hope she actually sticks to it this time, she tends to quit going anytime a counselor tells her she needs to change or tells her something she doesn't like. So we'll see how it goes this time, fingers crossed.

12. jsmurf

This ^

13. Night Rain

You said the right thing IMO and you definitely shouldn't regret it.

This time try to make her stick around with her counselor (I'm not sure if you can do anything about it though). Good luck. :slight_smile:

14. Jared

Thanks, I still feel bad about saying it, I guess I'm not used to standing up for myself, I tend to just take whatever people do to me and I'm really quiet. I definitely going to try to make her keep going, but I'm not sure how that will go, especially after I leave to go back to college.

15. DoriaN

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're making some great strides in being more assertive, and I'd encourage you to continue standing up for yourself. As you become more confident and comfortable about who you are, and realize how screwed up your mom is, I think it will be easier to set boundaries with her.

As I think I've said to you before, the problem with setting boundaries with people who have none is... they HATE it and will do everything possible to break the boundaries, and get very, very angry when you hold to your boundaries. But it's definitely the right thing to do. And she will eventually get it. Once she realizes that you are going to stand up for yourself, and she can no longer control you, she'll have to respect your boundaries, or she'll lose contact with you... and clearly she doesn't want that.

17. WhoAmI76

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't have much to add but that's just terrible. Sorry to hear anyone treating another that way but especially a mother to a son. Agree with what's been said above. You need to stick up for yourself even when it feels wrong or harsh, it needs to be done. You gota look out for yourself first. Maybe some day some couple/family counseling might be good but for now I would think best is some space and keep doing individual counseling for both of you.

Sorry you have to deal with that! (*hug*)

18. jimL

Sometimes people say things in a fit of rage that they shouldn't..I have. A large part of my life I had a really bad temper and sometimes spouted off and said some things that I will always regret. Most of that had to do with being closeted and really unhappy. Your mother is unhappy for whatever reason. She said something that she should have never said. I just hope she will realize that she could lose something that she probably does not want to lose if she doesn't grow up. Hang in there. Hopefully she will come around.

19. Mercy

Mercy Guest

i want you to know i think your one of the most sweetest people on ec . what your mom said about you has had me in tears . So much painfull words are being said and its not fair for you :frowning2: im sorry and im here to talk <3

20. Gen

Gen

I know what you me. I not my mothers emotional support most of the time, but she is also very manipulative. On the outside looking it doesnt look like we have as much issues as we actually do. I forgive her, because I naturally way too nice of a person, though I know deep down inside there is alot of resentment built up. So I can imagine some falling out will probably occur in the future once I dont have a reason to keep things calm anymore.

I dont think you did anything wrong. I applaud the fact that you stood up for yourself. (*hug*)