1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting Girls at a College with No GSA?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aeva, Sep 10, 2012.

1. aeva

As of last week, I am attending a new college (my 3rd) after a year of not attending school, and have no idea how to meet people. Most of my classes are huge (150 people), so there's really not much of a chance to get to know each other. I have my own apartment, so I don't have a roommate and am not eating in the dining hall. Luckily, I have 2 friends from home who are here too, so I've been spending a lot of time with them, but I've also been spending a lot of time alone and it's starting to get to me.

I did join 2 clubs, but they are both pretty small, and not really attended by anybody I'd be interested in hanging out with/dating. There is no GSA on campus, although I have seen plenty of gay-looking girls (and guys) around.

I am NOT a partier. I have a severe phobia of people vomiting, so I try to avoid really drunk people at all costs, and that's all our campus is filled with after 7 at night. Stumbling, puking, and unconscious (yes, passed out cold on the lawn at 7 in the evening) people ALL OVER THE PLACE, it's ridiculous. So I've been avoiding going to campus in the evenings, which is further limiting my chances to meet people.

If somebody comes up to me and starts chatting, or we're all hanging out in the same area (smoking a cigarette, waiting for class, etc.), then I can start a conversation no problem. But I don't know how to just go up to somebody and start talking to them. I feel absurd for being 20 years old and not knowing how to make friends or meet a girlfriend, but I don't!!

Any advice you guys and gals have would be fantastic!

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would try dating sites to see if anyone around your age in the area would like to meet for a date in a nice, safe, public location.

3. Ianthe

Since there is no official GSA, maybe you could start an unofficial social group that meets regularly. You could advertise for it.

4. aeva

Ianthe, I did think about that. I love the idea, I just don't think I'd be the right person to lead it, I wouldn't know what to do! If I had just ONE other LGBT friend, I'd feel much more confident about doing it, but as it is I'm not sure how I'd go about it.

5. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There you go! That's a great way to meet women. How about you make flyers saying that you want to start a GSA at school? You could pass them out randomly and I'm sure people will be interested. You could also try joining a dating site like, Pret Allez suggested. What about when you go grocery shopping? Silly, I know, but it could work. Now, that I'm older and much more confident about being gay, I tend to approach women all the time even though I be a nervous wreck. I fake my confidence about 75% of the time and it's paid off. Sometimes, you have to fake it until you make it.

#5 pinklov3ly, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012