1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depressed for no reason?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TwoMethod, Sep 11, 2012.

1. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's preface this by saying that I have a lot of experience with psychiatry as I volunteered for months in a clinic, I have read widely in this field and it's the area I want to go into. I don't want to talk about anti-depressants (any one who has half a questioning mind would do good to look at the studies about how effective anti-depressants actually are).

What should you do when you're depressed about nothing? There is this guy who I've been "in love" with for ages, and I was talking to him a lot today in school. But I feel depressed in the way — well, it's almost as if I said something embarrassing or caused him not to like me, even though I know I didn't. I know the sadness is about him but nothing happened to cause the sadness.

This is really vague, I know, but does any one have any experience with random sadness before?

It's really getting me down.

2. TheAMan

Yeah I had an experience with random sadness last week. My roommate had come in drunk that night and he had some drunk girls with him too after I specifically said not to bring girls in the room. He sincerely apologized to me and he told that he's an alcoholic. That once he starts drinking he can't stop. It came from him being depressed all the time and he hate himself for it. He also told me how he tried to kill himself a couple times but failed. When he told em these things, I promised him that I would always be there for him and help him through anything he needed.

Well for the next two days, I got depressed because his story really hurt me on the inside. It tore me to pieces that I was this close to not having a friend like him. I mean he has his flaws but I don't care because he's such an awesome guy. I would keep to my self, my patience was short, and I every time I tried to cry, it never worked. I made it worse by imagining scenarios in which something bad happened to him if he was drunk and I'm not there to help him.

I would make random Facebook posts to describe how I felt and my friends saw them and they gave me great advice. They told to stop dwelling on whatever was upsetting me and just let it go. I was only making matters worse by constantly thinking about it. They told me to go do other activities to keep my mind off it.

Not only did I take there advice, I also prayed to God to help me out of my depression and get me back to being my old and normal self. I don't know what religion you believe in or if you even believe in one. If you do believe in God, I just want you to know that there is power in prayer. If you asks for God's help, he will give it to you. It worked for me and I was feeling better within 24 hours.

I really hope this helps you and I hope you feel better soon. (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

3. Defiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Perhaps it is a subconcious realisation that you cannot go any 'further' with this relationship, as if you feel sad for him that he is not gay.

4. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could very well be, but I don't honestly know whether he is gay or not. I'm not the only one who thinks he's gay, either.

But that could be why I am feeling so shitty. But I always find that I have some load-of-nothing to be depressed about. i.e. if it wasn't this, it would be something else.

5. Waterlilly

I have actually also experienced an intense sadness or depression after having an innocuous conversation with someone I was attracted to. I feel like I said something stupid that made that person hate me or something like that, even though I didn't. There was a professor I had a crush on freshman year and after every time I spoke to her, even though she was really attentive and kind, I felt like I was horribly stupid and hated myself for having spoken to her. I have no idea why.

6. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, it's good to know that someone else has felt the same thing. That sounds exactly like how I feel. Or sometimes I might have planned to talk about something and it doesn't go to plan or maybe doesn't feel right, and I go over and over it as if I'm never gonna be able to talk to him again.

Sometimes I even convince myself that he hates me or finds me annoying, which would make no sense given that I've pretty much told him how great I think he is and am always helpful to him with things.