1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wantobe, Sep 13, 2012.

1. wantobe

Hi I'm a 65 -year-old man, married to the same woman for 35 years, just recently came out of the closet to her. I have been cross-dressing in women's clothes ( mostly underwear ) all my life.

From my late teens I have fantasized about a sex change. Back then this was really taboo. I got married and really tried to change my way of thinking, easer said then done, so I still staid in the closet and wore my panties and thing when ever I had a chance.

There are number of reasons why I can't have SRS now. I will tell you later.

But for now I would like to talk to other people like me to see how they cope.

Sincerely

wantobe

2. J Snow

Welcome to the site =)

Well, I just started transitioning, but I'm only 22 so we I'm sure you are going through a very different situation than I am. I admire your courage to come out though.

You said you can't get SRS, but what about HRT (hormone replacement therapy)?

3. wantobe

As for HRT I m thinking that I would really like to really explor that option.

---------- Post added 13th Sep 2012 at 11:33 AM ----------

I wish you all the best. I wish I had acted when I was 22!

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Welcome to EC!

I'm not trans, so I can't relate much, but congrats on deciding to face it all. I know it can be incredibly hard.

I know that transitioning is a much more complicated process for older people, but I do know that there are some things that you can do so you are happier.

Have you tried talking to a therapist that specializes in gender identity? That might be great place to start if you haven't done so.

5. J Snow

Talking to a therapist would be a wonderful idea, or even a doctor. If you are interested in HRT then most health insurance policies require you undergo a period of psychological evaluation prior to starting. My health insurance policy was that I either needed to undergo 3 months of psychological evaluation OR 3 months of documented full time experience identifying as a woman in public. I guarantee the psychological evaluation is a lot more popular.

It doesn't hurt to set up a consultation with a doctor first though. A friend of mine was able to begin without a therapist's approval because the doctor just recorded that it was being for a "hormone imbalance" and not necessarily GED (which sounds a little sketchy) but my point is that it won't hurt to talk to a doctor as well as a therapist.

I would also strongly recommend trying to find a transgender support group in your area. I started going to one two or three weeks before I started HRT, and now I'm going to two, one in my hometown and one in my college town. It feels so awesome to be around other trans people who understand what you are going through. In such a short time I feel like I've become great friends with the other members.

If you'd like to explain why you feel you can't undergo SRS I'm willing to listen. Of course, SRS itself is not required to receive a legal sex change (at least not in the state of Iowa anymore, it may still be that way in some states =/ ). I for one haven't made a decision one way or another on it. Is it something that feels really important to you though? For some trans people it is and for others its not as huge of a deal. I know I would like to see it changed, but I care a lot more about looking female.

I've only been on HRT for about a week and half, but if you ever want someone to talk to or questions to ask about it feel free =]