1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With College

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Thandrami, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Thandrami

I have been attending Las Vegas's community college for about a month now (even though it is not a community college now because they thought it was degrading) anywho. I really need help. Im struggling so much with finding time to do everything. I attend school Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays I also have work every day I am not in school. I am taking 5 classes (15 credits). Does anyone have any advice on how to make time to do stuff. I took caffeine pills last night to stay up all night to do homework but as a side effect they made me sick so I had to call out of work. I really need help or else I may break under all the stress :/

2. Aielar

You could make a visual schedule of where you have to be and when you have to be there - that may help you see where you have time to do homework and help you plan your week accordingly. I am in the same position as you (at school five days a week, six hours a day and I work weekends) and something I have done is ask for help from people who have cars - since I do not drive - to help me out. I have one friend who is going to pick up cat food for me since I do not have time to get it done and the vet is closed on Saturdays.

I would not advise staying up all night, even if it means not getting everything that needs to be done finished. I am not sure how you could actually make time besides staying up all night, but in order to function your body needs to sleep and it is important to take care of yourself before you drive yourself into the ground. Is it possible for you to talk to your employer and see if you can get one or two days off a week for homework? It may not be an option, but it's a suggestion.

Most importantly of all, make some time for fun in your day, even if it's just for fifteen minutes. I know that's a hard thing to do especially since you are incredibly busy, but it's a good idea anyway.

Hang in there, I believe in you :slight_smile:

3. Thandrami

Thanks :slight_smile: Talking to my employer will not work (http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/69031-ugg-i-hate-there.html) <----- We do not get along at all.

As for the fun I had been doing homework all day today/last night and I decided I wanted to go out so my friend hit me up and me and her went out to the Fashion Show Mall and went to the strip for a little bit. Had such a great night!!!

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Time management will be your best friend ever!

Either take a class on it or start reading up on things you can do to improve how you are managing your time. You want to be able to spend your time wisely.

The other thing would be to considering taking only 4 classes a semester. Might not seem like a big change, but having one less class to take is HUGE if you are short on time as is.

And remember to study effectively. Don't study for 2-3 hours straight because it won't do you any good. Study for an hour, take a 15 minute break, then tackle it again. Studying with other people also allows you to learn faster and it gives you a sense that you aren't wasting your time.

Its hard, and I suck at it, but its definitely a much needed skill.