1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help with a Friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DoctorWho, Sep 14, 2012.

1. DoctorWho

So this morning I got a text from one of my long time friends. Now for quite a while, I have known she is suicidal. But this morning I woke up, checked my phone and I say a message : " I hope you can forgive me... Goodbye". After that I texted to see if she had and she said that she was going to and decided against. Now, I managed to get her to not think about it for a while but I and our other good friend who is also trying to help, are afraid she might do this again. I don't what to do. Can anyone give me some good advice to help her?

2. Mercy

Mercy Guest

CALL 911 immediatly

3. csocm

tell an adult, or like if you see a therapist, tell them. I know you prob want to like keep your friends trust and not tell anyone, but if they texted you goodbye this morning, tell someone. He may be pissed at you for a little, but most likely in the long run, he will be thankful.
    I am sorta dealing with the same sort of thing with my cousin, she isn't sucidial, but I am keeping a close eye on her.

4. DoctorWho

Thanks I will see if I can :slight_smile:

5. BudderMC

Don't call 911, there's no sense in doing that now if she's not (currently) at risk of doing anything. That said, if it comes up again and you're genuinely worried she's at risk of hurting herself, I wouldn't hesitate. Better to be safe than sorry.

What she needs more than anything right now is for you to be her friend. That means be there for her, listen when she needs to talk, make sure she's doing okay, have her best interest in mind. The fact that she texted you last time indicates that she cares about you, so keep in mind that even if you feel like you have no control over the situation, the mere fact that you're in her life makes a big difference.

Do you know why she is/was suicidal? Is it an issue that can be addressed?

Keep in mind also that even though you are her friend, it is not your responsibility to deal with her problems. Some things (and likely things grand enough to cause suicidal ideations) are not things that teenagers should need to be dealing with, and also the things that many adults are trained to deal with.

I'd ask her if she's told anyone else (ideally an adult) about what she's been feeling, and if not, suggest she talks to one. Perhaps a trusted relative, maybe a school counsellor, therapist if she's seeing one, etc. Of course, there's also anonymous help lines or online contacts she could talk with. EC is a good example of online communication, and KidsHelpPhone comes to mind for an anonymous call.

6. DoctorWho

She says that her heart hurts too much and that life is too hard.She has been thinking like this for a while now but now that its come to what she almost did last night, I think it might be something more but I don't know

7. aj32

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like she may be to overwhelmed to deal right now. Talk to her about seeing a doctor. Depression is really hard to get out of sometimes. Medicine can really help. Other than that knowing you have a friend you can call on can really help.