1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Night

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DoctorWho, Sep 14, 2012.

1. DoctorWho

So yesterday, two of my very best friends came over to stay the night. We played some video-games and watched Whose Line is it Anyway? on my laptop. When it was time for us to go to bed, my one friend (who I am in love with and have been for a few years now) was still lying there on my bed. I didn't want to make me look suspicious so I let him stay on it. I then texted one of my other good friends to tell him about it and he said "Make sure you don't wake up with morning wood!" The worst part? I did. The one thing is though, while we were sleeping, I would wake up now and again and I could swear he was getting closer to me. Most likely him just moving in his sleep. So here is my thought: Should I have tried anything like maybe, cuddle with him or something or was I right to restrain myself? Oh and btw, yes he knows I like him. He just doesn't know how much

2. BudderMC

Is he into guys?

If no, then no, don't try anything.

If yes, then maybe... but you need to evaluate for yourself: is a potential relationship with him worth potentially losing the friendship over?

Odds are if he was getting closer to you throughout the night he was just moving in his sleep. I wouldn't read too much into it, not because it's farfetched, but because in cases like these it's much easier to take the most obvious (and "safest") answer.

3. DoctorWho

Thanks, that is exactly what I thought

4. prism

Whenever I'm unsure of how someone feels, I progress in small steps. I'll make subtle moves at them, and if they respond, I'll keep pushing until I stop getting signals from them.

One of my "straight" best friends stayed the night a few weeks ago and we ended up kissing. Like BudderMC said, ask yourself if it's worth risking your friendship. Things between my friend and I are still really weird and I wish I had restrained myself.

It's easier said than done. If I were you, I probably would have tried getting closer because I'm a creeper. He's the one that stayed in your bed despite knowing how you feel about him, so... I'm really not sure. Give it time and see how things play out. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

5. DoctorWho

Thanks that is actually a good point but who knows I guess only time will tell :slight_smile:

6. Retrospect

Prism brings up a very good point. He stayed knowing how you feel about him (somewhat, at least). Not saying to go give him a nice smooch the next time you see him, but don't give up!

Had I been in the situation, I would have had a VERY difficult time restraining myself. But that's just me.

Hope everything works out! :slight_smile:

7. BudderMC

I think it's important to distinguish something here. Just because he stayed even though he knows you like him doesn't default to him liking you... all it says is that he's comfortable with you. And if he's comfortable but still not into you, I wouldn't risk violating that trust.

8. Retrospect

It was never my intention to promote a violation of trust. I was just saying to be optimistic. If he is somewhat attracted, then great. If not, then life goes on.

9. DoctorWho

Very true! And thanks all of this is very helpful!