1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MtF name change?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DoriaN, Sep 14, 2012.

1. DoriaN

So my real first name is Dorian.
    It's unisex, and the odd time someone assumed I was female based on the name.

I love my name, and originally I had no intention of changing it.
    But lately i've been thinking about it and am not sure if I should go for something girlier or not etc.

Basically I'd love to hear feedback and or name ideas!

2. J Snow

Personally Dorian sounds like a male name name to me =/ If you are genderqueer do you want a girly name or just an androgynous one? I think Jordan is a good one if you are looking for androgyny. Dori could be a good feminine version of Dorian.

If you are open to making this a general tread about name changes you could give me your opinion too :3 I'm trying to decide between Michelle and Lauren. (My birth name is Michael)

3. jvn95

I honestly do like Dorian, and it's up to you if you change it. I wouldn't change mine either, My name is Jude it's unisex, And leans towards guys.

If you really feel like changing it, here are some suggestions
    -Darla
    -Darci
    -Deryn (I like Deryn)
    Those are D's
    Some others that might be commonly used could be
    -Katelyn
    -Katheryn
    -Jeanette
    -Emily
    -Bethany
    -Maggie
    -Mary
    -Stacy
    -Linda
    -Sue
    -Karen
    -Candace
    -Megan
    -Melany
    -Donna
    -Melody
    -Brittney
    -Jolene
    And here are a couple that are unique, I love unique and uncommon names
    -Perla
    -Rowan (<33333 this one)
    -Sondra
    -Paola
    -Amya
    -Dulce
    -Greer
    -Zola
    -Veda
    -lillas
    -Luna
    -Danika
    And here are a couple of more unisex names
    -Kennedy
    -Orion
    -Brice
    -Caden
    -Mason
    -Reagan
    -Reed
    -Hadley
    -Ira
    -Cecil
    -Dane
    -Perry
    -Delany
    -Blaine
    -Ashton
    -Arron
    Annnnnnnd Ashton

There's some names to look at, I hope you come to your conclusion soon, I really do like your name though, I think Dorian is girly in my taste.

Good luck on your fun adventure to name-land. :slight_smile:

4. Suffocation

Dorian reminds me of more of a 'girlier' unisex name. I wouldn't change it.

reminds me of Dorian Lord from All my children. and she was a lezzy! :grin:

5. Tails Luver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally, I think that the name Dorian isn't that male-sounding. I mean, unless your name's Dorian Gray, I don't think I'd assume you're a guy. Dorian sounds more like a girl's name to me than a guy's. In the end, it is up to you on whether you change it or not, but I think you should stick with Dorian, or maybe go with Dori like J Snow said.

6. DoriaN

Its funny becausd people who know do not know my GID call me dori as a nickname anyways.

I definitely love the suggestions, and hearing that most of you seem to feel Dorian is more feminine leaning is def'n a mood booster ^^ (My name being more unique I like too).

I got lots of time to think but j snow you can also ask for ideas too if you want I suppose.

Checking thread tomollow, bed time ~_~

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really like women's names that end in a short -a sound.

Aurora's a great name, and I also like Sierra.

8. DoriaN

I had a crush on a lauren, but names that play off of their counterpart seem to be the best imo.

Michelle is nice. Mishelli, misha, millivanilla, chelle, elle.

9. Dorian sounds androgynous enough, but it's a name I would always associate with the Picture of Dorian Gray, considering it's one of my favourite books. Personal opinion aside, I think choosing your own name (or asking parents what they would have named you) is important, so I like to stay away from recommendations. I used to tell people "oh, you look like a ___" or "I like ___," but I'm a stranger. I don't know you. My opinion is invalid, so now I like to just give some insights, something for you to consider if you feel like reading what I have to say. Sometimes I play the devil's advocate a bit. In this post I already gave a little advice to someone on androgynous names that you commented on, so I'll touch upon another aspect this time: options for when a person's birth name is already unisex.

So, in the above post, I said how I had once hated the idea of having an androgynous name, but had eventually made peace with it. I've really come to enjoy it actually. At one point, I started to become jealous of people with unisex birth names; it would have saved me a lot of time, money, and effort, or so I believed. Then, I thought about it more. Maybe it wasn't a good thing in some ways, or for certain people. Like I said, it definitely has its perks, but purely from speculation, I can imagine it having its downsides as well.

(According to your Out Status) I'm assuming that when your family and friends think of Dorian, they're associating the name with a male. If and/or when you come out, you going by the same name will be easier, technically. You won't have to deal with the annoying period of them getting adjusted to a new name and worry about potential slip-ups in public. On the other hand, I feel perhaps it could make them too "comfortable," as in like not much has changed, if they still feel like you're the same old Dorian. I mean, of course you're the same person! But you want people to acknowledge that you came out to them, and having to get used to calling someone a different name is one of those things that really registers that fact. On a more personal level, maybe you would want to get away from the male association of your name. It depends how you feel about your past and experiences with gender. Is it something you see as a negative? Will your name remind you of those experiences? Do you feel like it will cause you any dysphoria?

Anyway, take your time and don't rush into things. Good luck. :slight_smile:

10. Veronica

Ah ... Picking a name. One of the fun parts of being trans/GQ :slight_smile:

I settled on mine more or less by chance. I was registering on a forum somewhere or needed an alias for an email account or something like that, and Veronica just popped into my mind.

This is 5 years ago, and the name just stuck. I'm making it official in 3-4 months :slight_smile:

I think it is important to pick an age-appropriate name. Veronica was very common when I was born in the late 70s. Most people who're called that are in their 20s or 30s.

11. Gen

Gen

You did it now. I Love talking about names ^_^. I've spent hundreds of hours studying and searching for different names for my writing. I could definitely recommend some but it would be hard not knowing what I should be going for.

Since I dont know what type of names you like I will just go with Prets idea. Names with strong A sounds often sound very appropriate on women of all ages/appearances. Some are alot less popular these days, but thats why I picked them. Who wants to be common. Elena, Valeriya/Valeria, Leona, Belinda, Ella, Sylvia, Cynthia, and Maya.

Another thing to remember is that unisex and feminine pairs often make very pretty and unique names. So instead of just getting rid of your name, you can just switch it with a middle name. You may not like a feminine name to begin with, but if you pair it up with your current name you can make some very nice pairs. Such as 'Ella Dorian'. Just a thought :slight_smile:.

12. HatterMad

Here's the thing about unisex names.....There's always going be someone who reads it and assumes you're male....and there will always be someone who reads ti and assumes you're female. lol

I really like the name Dorian. And I like the suggest of switching it up with a middle name, even if you want to create a new name.

I also feel you have to identify with your name. It feels right and fits you....it doesn't matter if you're a girl named Aron, or a boy named Clare.

that said, even though I know Dorian is a unisex name It sounds/looks more femme to me, especially using Dori or Doria for a nickname

But then what do I know about names.....

Signed,
    Julien...who is called Jen :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. DoriaN

Wow so many awesome ideas, but now I've got MORE descisions to make ;_;
    heehee

Elec you made a lot of good notions, since im at work ill basically sum up my thoughts. Since I still feel GQ holding onto a bit of maleness or having that confusion is like a twisted game to me, I'd feel giddy if someone made a mistake and I would like my friends and official documents for easiness' sake to probably maintain Dorian.

Gen I love the middle name idea, i will defn have to work something with it.

I could just tell people to call me dori (some already nicknamed me that without GID knowledge from myself x3) or some alias and only on official documents have a stated name.

Ill reread everything after work, I love the ideas and suggestions!