1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSA "Coming Out 101" Event

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ImpossibleSoul, Sep 16, 2012.

1. ImpossibleSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My college's GSA is holding a "Coming Out 101" event later this week.
    Here's the description:
    I'm interested in attending, but I guess I'm concerned that if I go I'll essentially be coming out to a bunch of people I don't know. It's also possible I may know one or two people at the event. Right now the only person I'm out to is my therapist (just told her last week :]).

Has anyone attended an event like this before? Should I go if I'm not out to anyone yet?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :]

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I haven't been to such an event myself, but from the sounds of it, I think it would be something you might want to attend.

Although it might cause you to have a few butterflies and bring out some nervousness, it is a safe event to be yourself and to start your coming out process. Even if you bump into someone that you know, that person is either a supporter or perhaps also questioning his/her sexual identity or look at ways to start coming out. In some ways, if you wanted to come out, this is the event to do it at. :slight_smile:

Even if you just go to listen to others' stories and experiences without making any statements about yourself or coming out for that matter, it might help you to become more comfortable and confident being yourself around others.

So yeah, I can only encourage you to take a deep breath and attend the event.

3. ImpossibleSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice! You make a lot of good points. Hopefully I will be able to muster up enough courage to attend!