1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Coming out lows.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ORly, Sep 16, 2012.

1. ORly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just want to know if others experience this and what they do to get out of it.

I've only come out to 4 people I know. (Well and all 50ish people in my college GSA). Each time it went like this: Anxiety about telling them. Then relief and happiness immediately afterwards. But then about a day or so later I get really low and almost depressed about it. I don't regret telling them or anything... I just kind of get all blah and I don't know why.

The 4 different friends I've told have all been amazing and supportive and nothing has changed between us.

2. julia

I know exactly what you're talking about. When I told my family I was elated but a few days later I felt incredibly down, I think I just expected my life to change a lot greater than it did.

3. ORly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, That could be it. Spend all that time worried and everything just ends up being the same as always.

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This exactly ^

It's like, we build up a ton of anxiety thinking that people are going to react badly to it. However, once you come out and instead receive a good reaction, it's like we were preparing for something that never happens. And so we become kind of disappointed if that makes sense and as silly as it may sound.

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yup...although everything else being equal I think the mood swings are less pronounced as I tell more people...

6. Mugwump

Yeah I totally get what you mean, I went through a similar thing. It almost feels like an anticlimax. Things go back to feeling normal though :slight_smile: you've just come out, which is a really big thing for you, so it's totally normal and okay to feel a whole bunch of emotions even if they don't feel like they make sense. Don't try to understand it, just congratulate yourself on achieving a big step in your life. Remember that it's probably a bigger deal to you than to other people - I think that realising that can be a bit of let down.