1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who should I come out to first and how?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hunted, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Hunted

I have now come to terms that I am a bisexual. But who do i come out to first. A female friend of mine that is also bisexual, or one of my best friends. Though my best friend and i have been having some arguments lately. Do you think if I told him that I am bisexual that it would destroy our friendship completely. I'm not attracted to him but that might be hard to explain if I come out. Also how would i come out? I mean do I text them, Skype them, or tell them in person. I have no idea. Some advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks!!!

2. Tails Luver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would first come out to the person in your life that you think will be most supportive. That's what I did. Honestly, it'll boost your confidence when you tell others. If you and your best friend have been arguing lately, I would wait to tell him until things are a bit calmer between the two of you.

Remember, though, that you don't have to come out, and not right away, either. I had accepted the fact that I was bisexual almost a year before I came out to my most understanding friend. You'll know when you're ready to come out, though, so don't rush things. If you feel like you're ready to come out, then go for it. If not, then there's no harm in waiting a bit.

I hope this helps! :grin:

---------- Post added 18th Sep 2012 at 05:15 PM ----------

Oh, and I would do it in person, but you can still text or Skype them. Most of the people I've told have either heard through text or e-mail, but I still think that saying it directly to them would be the best route.

3. YourComingOut

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi Hunted!
    I think only you are going to know who it feels right to tell first. I vote for the person you think will make you feel the safest and most supported.

As for how to tell them. Obviously there are pros and cons to the different forms of communication. Telling someone in person is the most personal, the most connected, but it may also feel the most exposed. A text is impersonal, and very disconnected, but it may leave you feeling a little less exposed. However, the information is still out there regardless -- so you are going to feel vulnerable. A text (or an email) gives someone a chance to let the information sink in, and the possibility to think through their reaction. It also lets you think through how you want to say it. On the flip side, you may have to wait anxiously for the reaction! Will it take them an hour to respond? or 2 days?
    Skype and in person - you will get their initial, most raw reaction.

Whichever form of communication you choose, you are going to be in a vulnerable space. That is OK, and it just is what it is when it comes to coming out. You are giving the other person a beautiful gift to deepen their connection with you, and you with them. It is up to them if they are able to take care of that gift or not.

I wish you the best of luck!

4. stephaniesbaby

ya...I agree. I think you should come out to whoever is the most supportive, and who you feel most comfy with. whatever your decision, we are all here to support you and wish you good luck and also to help you through if you need it!

5. csocm

Come out to whoever you are most comfortable with/ you know will be supportive. You can come out however you are most comfortable with. I first told one of my best friends at church that I had become pretty close with and I did it through text.