1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everything is breaking, and is on the cusp of falling apart.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Sep 18, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

Wow, my life went from calm to "AHHHHH PANIC" pretty fast.

Some backstory: about a year and a half ago I moved out of home for the first time, and found out quickly I was really out of my depth. I could barely afford anything, half the time had to delay rent payments, had to cancel my cell phone, it was bad.

I came back home after 7 months, embarrassed but determined to get back out ASAP.

And now I've been back with my mom for almost 10 months and I'm MISERABLE.

Why? My mom retired at the end of May, and since then has turned into the dragon lady. She will not let us use the dryer during the summer months, and gave me absolute hell recently for using it for TWENTY minutes to dry my pants the rest of the way. She gives me a hard time about what i'm eating if she doesn't approve of it, and bites my head off if I don't wipe down the kitchen counters after i finish cooking, even if I didn't use them. If we go over on our max uploads for the internet, it's automatically my fault.

My brothers insult me constantly (theyre both younger) think its okay to get into fights with me physically, and ignore everything I have to say.

I am severely depressed because of the whole Transgender issues to begin with, and all of this is heavily adding to my depression. I try to stay out as long as possible after work to avoid going home, and when I am home I hide in my bedroom and study frequently, just to avoid my family.

I've also hit the point with my mom where she's frequently threatening to do it, but says "i'm not allowed to move out" until I pay off my debt to her, which is almost at 1000$.

I'm at the point now that I need to move out. I'm looking for a second job, and an apartment. This time I cannot move back home, and I don't think my mom will let me once I tell her how I really feel. I keep dreading family functions because I don't want to even be in the same room as her.

Any suggestions on moving out quickly without digging myself into a hole?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's hard to say - how dedicated are you to paying back this $1000 to your mother before you move out? How much do you have saved up at this point?

Really, the choice of when to move out - and I do think, from the sound of the situation, that that would be a good idea - is pretty subjective, and has to do mostly with how much of a safety net you want to build up first, and how much you want to be making before you move out on your own again. Maybe having your own $1000 in the bank is enough - maybe you want $2000. Maybe you just want to get that second job and have a certain amount coming in each month.

Have you looked into getting an lgbt-friendly roommate? If you're in Montreal, you should be able to find someone, and having a roommate would do a lot to make the issue of rent and other bills easier to handle.

Try to focus on these smaller goals - okay, today I'm working on finding a second job. Today I'm working on finding a roommate. This month I'm saving up my paychecks to put towards paying off my debt to my mom. And so forth, until the variables are in place. It might take a little while, but you'll certainly be able to make it, and feeling like you're working towards that goal might help you feel a lot better in the meantime.