1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When your mother keeps mentioning you having children, not knowing you're gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by musikk021, Sep 18, 2012.

1. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you do or how does it make you feel when your mother or either parent, not knowing you're gay, mentions grandchildren or you having kids?

My mom had brought it up so many times before, and tonight was my last straw that totally pissed me off. She doesn't know I'm gay (even though I'm a walking stereotype of a lesbian). On so many occasions, she's mentioned me having children in the future or her taking care of my children when I have them. Lately, I've been having issues with my kidneys and bladder and I've been getting treatment for them. Tonight, she texted me to ask how I was doing and tells me that if I don't get my kidneys and bladder treated promptly, I'm going to suffer from problems "after childbirth." That got me so upset. First of all, I hate kids and she knows it. Second of all, that means she assumes I'll be with a guy and have kids. Disregarding the fact that I'm gay, I've never even had a first date yet...and she goes so far ahead to talk about childbirth?!

I know this doesn't seem like a big deal, but I just needed to vent and have no one to talk to :bang: :cry: I just wish I could be out so she'll stop talking about my future husband and children; it makes me so angry.

2. babyjax13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm convinced that my grandfather could come visit me and I could sleep in the same bed as another man and he'd *still* never guess unless I told him that I was gay (which I won't, for many reasons). I'd say cut her some slack and vent to people just like you are doing here because she can't know you're upset unless you tell her :slight_smile:

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, have you told her you don't want to have children, or at least that it's not something you want to talk about right now? Especially in the most recent situation, something along the lines of "hey mom, it's great that you're concerned for me, but I really want to focus on the treatments for my kidneys and bladder, can we worry about my uterus later" might help get the message across.

My dad was always bringing up the subject of me having kids too, even after I told him I was gay. One day, I decided to ask him - in response to another kids-query - if he wanted to have sex with a man. When he responded, flustered, that he didn't, I suggested that in that case he might stop asking me when I would be having sex with a woman. He hasn't asked again. :grin:

4. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I've said it time and again that I don't want to and don't plan on having kids. I've never liked children, and she knows it. But every time I say that, she gives me this upset look and says something along the lines of, "You say that now, but watch...you'll end up with some." I made a post a while ago about this fortune-telling method of predicting how many children a person is going to have; I have been predicted to have 2 sons, and my mom has really taken that to heart. She's expecting those two grandsons...:eusa_doh: Obviously, I don't believe in that and am strongly opposed to having kids (at least from my own uterus). In addition to the kid thing, she's always talking about "when you get married" or "when you have a family" or "so and so with your husband." All of that just makes me want to burst, "I'm effin gay! I don't want kids and marriage isn't even legal for me yet!"

Haha, that works! But only because you're out :icon_wink

5. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, until you come out and say you're gay, she knows no different, or doesn't want to accept that yet(since you said you look like a stereotypical lesbian) until you officially say it. I feel you can't really get that upset with her about it at this point.

My mom used to say the same stuff, except in my case a wife and kids even though I never had a girlfriend or talked about women at all and I'm sure she knew the answer. But now that she knows I'm gay, she jokingly says stuff like "you need to find yourself a rich man" lol

6. Rose

I get this. I don't think I have much to offer in way of advice but I can say I know how you feel! I wish people were more sensitive around the subject of having kids. Your Mum seems to be expressing her own desires for you. I suppose if she knew you were gay she may be more sensitive but because she doesn't you need to figure out how best to handle her comments.

I have mostly been pretty blunt on this topic and politely told my Mum to drop it. It is good to remind yourself that you are no less whole for choosing not to have children. Of course, you still have many years to change your mind and that would be okay too. But it is up to you. Your Mum may not like it but it will be up to her to come to terms with it.

Good luck!

7. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's totally up to you if you want to have kids or not; there's obviously nothing wrong with that. Your health seems to be more important than having kids at the moment anyway. But, I have kids and I'm still gay; I kind of resent the fact that you used the words ”I hate kids.” Although, I'm not offended...I mean, you were a child once upon a time. I've grown up around kids all my life and they are truly a blessing. Yes, they can be two handfuls, but hate is a strong word.

Perhaps, this is a good way to come out to your Mom, but it's up to you. And it's probably a good idea to forgo mentioning the fact that you hate kids to any potential girl that you may date. Then again being up front is always a good idea, but use the words ”I do not want any children”, which sounds better.

#7 pinklov3ly, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  8. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, well I was just trying to get my point out quickly (and the main point is that I don't want to have kids) and sum up my stance on children without elaborating and beating around the bush about my feelings on them. If you'd rather I not say "hate," then I'll say I strongly dislike kids. We're all allowed to have our opinions on children; just because I was a kid once doesn't mean I have to like them. They're a blessing to you...great. But I don't see it that way. Let's not pick apart my diction here and just settle on having different opinions.

Yes, "I do not want any children." Let's leave it at that.

#8 musikk021, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  9. Hengrove22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ah, I can empathise with you so much OP. My mother mentions children all the time, it would genuinely break her heart if she knew I was gay and wouldn't provide her grand babies.

So whenever she mentions children now, I just say "Oh I never want kids Mum, that's what you have my brother for"

She usually laughs it off but soon she may start listening. And when I'm 40, with no kids (or wife, she tends to mention my wedding quite a bit) then she can at least know that I didn't want kids :grin:

I do however bloody love kids! Im VERY excited to be an uncle and spoil my nephews or nieces rottenn! Woop.

10. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I was trying to help you, but you do not have to get an attitude about it :rolle: I just think that you should choose your words wisely next time. If you don't see how kids are a blessing then I guess you're not a blessing as well then. And like I said before that I was not offended, it's your body. Your health matters more than anything.

11. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha well at least we have siblings who can have children for our moms. I have a younger sister who loves kids and wants to have at least 4 haha. Are you expecting to be an uncle anytime soon?

---------- Post added 19th Sep 2012 at 08:24 AM ----------

You're right. She does like to express her own desires and project them onto me. In another case, she does the same thing with religion too. She's Christian and I'm atheist. She keeps saying things like, "When you accept god into your heart..." even though she knows I don't believe in it. And everytime I tell her I don't, she gets defensive and makes it sound like god is an undeniable thing. And when she talks to others about religion, she tells people my sister is baptized but that I "haven't accepted god YET" as though she's expecting me to change my mind. I don't know...just between the children thing and religion thing, I'm tired of hearing it. But I know I can't do anything about it. It's what she wants to believe.