1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

support groups in nor va

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by coolbreeze90, Sep 18, 2012.

1. coolbreeze90

coolbreeze90 Guest

Hey
    I tried to google search some but couldnt figure out one that seemed right. Ive never been to a lgbt spprt group before so i was wondering how to attend a event or something... Do i have to call ahead, do groups turn away strangers? Idk, but im 21 in area code 20110 can someone refer an active support group that seems nice? TY :grin:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nearly all support groups welcome new members, without advance notice. You can just show up. The only exception would be time-limited therapy groups but that's really a very different category from a regular coming out support group.

In your area, you might search out the Washington Blade's website, which used to be a print newspaper for LGBT topics, but I believe is entirely online now. They should have a list of support groups in your area.

3. wc1

wc1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings from across the pond!

I was in very much the same position as you - pretty sceptical about these groups, maybe sceptical is the wrong word but definitely unsure as to what they would be like or how to join one! I ended up hearing about a gay therapy group that my mate had gone to in London and so just went along with him and it was really good to get help from people who had experienced realtively similar issues to you. I dont know if you guys have local LGBT centres (not trying to be offensive, i just dont know!) but we have them over here and you can go there for free and go to workshops and groups but they will also give you information about other groups in your area. Might be a good starting point. Obviously google is also a pretty good starting point but it is pretty intimidating just turning up to after finding it on the internet. It might be worth just giving group admins a call beforehand to get a little bitmore information about the group and the type of support that they offer!
    I just did a really quick google search in Virginia (I think that is 20110) and found this Serving Central Virginia group which looks like it might be able to give you more information on potential groups.
    In terms of whaqt they are like to new people - it is pretty similar to the forums, people are there to get help so they welcome new people and are more than willing to help. This probably is not the case for every single one but the majority that I have heard about are pretty friendly even if it may seem pretty intimidating.
    I would say go for it, it is a bit like joining a forum, can be a little scary at first but then it becomes normal and you can jsut talk to people about things.
    Hope this helps! Sorry I couldnt be more specific about stuff in your local area but I would imagine that there would be a group somewhere for you to go to that would be happy to have new members!:icon_bigg