1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i wanna come out but i don't know how to and to who.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by needshelp, Sep 19, 2012.

1. needshelp

well, i want to tell someone in my circle that i'm gay but i don't know how to because i'm afraid of their reactions or what might happen. i've thought about who i should come out to but apparently, there's only two people that i think might take it okay. my mother and one of my friends who's busy with school who i think wouldn't freak out if i told him it. i was thinking about telling my mom on my birthday which is next week. i don't want to tell her at home though when my brother or my father are around. the thing is how should i do it and how should i say it without her freaking out?

i was thinking about writing a letter BUT then again, it might be awkward. i'm thinking about just talking to her about it somewhere on a walk like the woods or somewhere outside. i don't know about telling her at home for some reason. the thing that concerns me besides how she might take it is if this might stress her and raise her blood pressure up since she has high blood pressure and it's easy for how to get stressed. i'd tell my friend but sometimes it's hard to contact him. i can message him anytime but i don't know. i just don't know about everything but i want to take a step forward and come out to somebody within my circle.

#1 needshelp, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I think either of those sound like good options, there is no right or wrong way just which ever feels right for you. You can always take your Mum for a walk and give her a letter whilst you are out, that way you can say everything you want to say rather than getting stuck for words at the time. Or you can send your friend and message and try and get his support before you tackle your Mother.

3. wc1

wc1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I considered the letter route that silverhalo mentioned but sided for sitting the person down and just having notes for myself so that i didnt forget anything. Luckily (and hopefully it will be the same for you) they were pretty understanding so it wasnt like i was giving some evangelical speach to them trying to persuade them I was right, they just sort of went "yeah ok, well we sort of suspected it". It was a bit wierd at first but it is way better getting it out rather than feeling like you are living a lie. Easier said than done but my advice would be to not overthink it, just do it!

4. Rin26

Rin26 Guest

Join the club. I know exactly how you feel. I wanna come out to my mother and sister. I try to find ways that it be the easiest to do so. Of course its normal to feel scared, nervous or feeling like your having a panic attack just the thought of coming out to someone u care about. I try not to think about what's the worse can happen because it make me not wanna do it even more. It's up to you when u feel the time is right n how u should do it. Whatever way that makes u feel confrontable n the easiest. I do like ur idea of maybe talking to her about it somewhere on a walk like the woods or somewhere outside. That way its just u n her one on one. Even though we hope that everyone we tell be ok with it, we also have to accept n brush off the ppl who react negative. Good luck!

5. Danjal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually just came out to my parents today - It might not have been the greatest way to come out, but it worked as I wanted it to :grin: I wrote a long letter - pretty much 2 pages front and back - about what i had been going through, and that I totally understood if they needed some time to figure this whole situation out (in VERY short version). Then this morning, I just put the letter in the kitchen, and went to college - now, funny thing was, that my parents both, at the same time, texted me, saying that they already knew, and had discussed this with an adviser or something, and quite understood what a struggle I had been going through. This worked for me, and it sort of took the pressure of my shoulders :grin: however it really struck my the first time my father said, "son, that you are gay...", that I really am gay! i'm a freakin' faggot! haha :grin: sort of weird in an odd way - but as everyone else says - do it when you're ready - you don't have to be 110% sure, as long as you feel an urge to tell them. Remember - you're still their son, and even if the most unfortunate should happen, you can't hide your sexuality anyway! sooner or later they will find out, and also: it's your life. don't live another one's life :wink:

best of luck! <3