1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving on after university

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Loras, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Loras

So Im finally graduating and its time to make the choice of what I want to do next year. I was originally staying in the same town and go living with my 2 best friends. But now that iv left my job and moving back home for the summer I don't think its the right choice.
    If I move into a house with my 2 best friends I wont have a job and worried I will get behind on rent, I think the smart move is to move home until I find a teaching job anywhere in the country. But im scared of leaving this city to a new city were I hAve no friends.

Staying in this city were I am unlikely to get a teaching job will create personal growth were as going anywhere were there are jobs will provide professional growth.

What do you guys think I should do?

2. moonwriter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi :slight_smile:
    Look - we can't say anything too smart. It's your choice.
    But look - if you want to teach, you should look up jobs at your city right now, and not wait for anything. If you don't find one, then obviously, you need to go to a different city, where you CAN find a job, you aren't planning on living with your parents forever, right?
    If you move to a different city, first find out which teaching jobs are available. It's always hard to move, but here the LGBT community can aid you. Maybe it's worth checking which cities have more active gay life, and start from there.

Don't do things you feel like are wrong - even if you don't find a teaching position in your city, and feel like you should stay - stay. You can find something else to do meanwhile. Maybe give private lessons, so you will be able to pay rent? Or maybe financial help from your parents? There are many factors involved.

Good luck in whatever you do!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! One thing to think about is, where do you see yourself in the next couple of years? If you see yourself teaching, and want to pursue teaching as a job and as a career, then moving to another (perhaps larger) city would be the choice to make.

Moving back home and getting a job to tie you over, and having less expenses allowing you to save some money, is a good strategy. However, don't let that set you back in having the opportunity for professional growth. Given that you are looking for teaching positions, I assume that your education corresponds to your job/career field. If you don't go into that field, then another question you have to ask yourself: why did I get that education in the first place?

Leaving for new places and leaving friends behind is always scary. No question about that. But remember that you can always keep in contact with your friends over the phone/internet. When you go home for visits, make sure to spend time and reconnect with them.

In many ways, professional growth and personal growth are also interconnected, as a move to a new place, having to grow out of your shell and familiar surroundings will contribute to your personal growth. Even though you might be making new friends and starting to grow a few roots in the new city, that doesn't mean that you will lose your friendships and connections in your current city. If you have an opportunity that will allow you to engage in professional growth in mind and on the horizon, I'd say give it a try.