1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How were your first relationships like?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thebrightficus, Sep 19, 2012.

1. How were your first gay/lesbian relationships like? I've never been in one and I feel completely awkward and discomforted in imagining myself in being one, but I think I really might want one. Just wondering how it felt.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine was especially strange, since we played cat-and-mouse for a few years beforehand. If I was interested, he wasn't. When he decided he wanted to give it a go, I wasn't so sure. We finally synched up, and started dating. And it ended up kind of being a mistake. We just weren't very compatible.

The second one is heading towards the fifteen-year mark, so it's going a bit better. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Route466

Route466 Guest

First one was interesting and relatively pain-free. We dated exclusively for two months. We never really went out anywhere, but when we did, it was strange having someone of the same sex put his hand on my knee in a public place. Anyway, after those two months, I brought up the fact that I wanted to be in a relationship with him. He said he didn't like labels, and I told him I didn't like games. When I found out he was smoking again, I just knew we weren't compatible for each other, and it was a mutual decision to call it quits.

I'd love to one day say my second relationship is going on the fifteen-year-mark, but we just passed seven months last week. It's always weird doing intimate things with someone new, and that goes for any relationship, but after a while (and if you're really compatible for each other) you get so comfortable you forget they ever made you so terribly nervous.

4. BNQ2012

That's a great question and one I've been trying to figure out how to phrase. It's cute when my friends say things like "Oh, when you start dating women..." The truth is that it's hard to know how to even begin. I find myself really wanting that first relationship with a woman and being much less interested in the men in my environment but I still feel very awkward around women and I'm not sure how to navigate things.

I look forward to seeing what other people will say about their experiences.

5. Wow Lex, fifteen-year mark? Good lord! Very happy for you! :>

And Route and BNQ, I'm sure all will be well! My friend told me things usually works itself out in the end (as long as we don't do anything stupid lol).

Good luck to you both :slight_smile: Still very curious as to what others have to share as well

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Still in my first -- and hopefully only :slight_smile: -- gay relationship. It'll be 6 months next week. (Wow, time flies!)
    It feels weird and awkward if I think about it, but at the same time I know I wouldn't wanna be with anyone else. It's like when I think about the fact that he's a guy I'm like oh God no, I can't be in this relationship!, and then I see him and I'm like Ohhhh hell no I can't ever leave him! :kiss:

7. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've never been in a relationship - gay or straight...
    I will admit that the thought of relationships does kinda scare me.

8. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

Heart wrenching and tumultuous

9. Dr Acula

First one - terrible. Not sure if I can call it a relationship - we said it was, but then I broke it off when I found out he had someone else back home and was still seeing them.

Second one - not great. We were fine for the first three months, then he became a nasty piece of work, constant put downs etc.

Third one - been together over a year, very much in love and planning on moving in together next year when he's back from his year abroad.

10. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Together for over a year now, but as far as the world is concerned, we're in a straight relationship, as she's in mtf :frowning2: I hate that I can't buy her proper presents or call her by the right name in public. I honestly hate it.

This is also my very first relationship, so I can't say I've got other experience :slight_smile:

11. Well I'm sure all will be well eventually! Chin up, and the future will work itself out :>

12. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

My first relationship with a guy was a hot mess of a situation. How we got together was complicated and dramatic, and while we were dating I was still figuring the whole how to be comfortable with being openly gay thing, so it was a mess. He was great through it all though and I actually had a blast even though it was complicated. I ended it after dating for 9 months because...well, I'm still not entirely sure why,but I just felt like I had to at the time.

I learned a lot from the relationship though so I would never take it back. After two years of him hating my guts we are now in talking terms so yay xD

Right now this is my third serious relationship and its going beyond amazing so far. It will be a year on monday! :grin: We'll see what the future brings, but I do hope this is it for me xD

13. JJmerlin88

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I wouldn't consider mine a relationship but it was the first time being asked out. It was at my dance recital that I met this guy and yes I did like him and he liked me too and since the dance recital took four days to complete we started to talk more on the second day... after we exchanged numbers. That night we were planning our first date, but since me and my mom got really close after I came out to her I always seek her approval and since she didn't like him I had to respect her decision and I called it off... now that it's been 6 months I see why she didn't approve of him...

14. Connor22

Awkward. That's the only word to describe it as XD every day was somewhere weird or didn't happen because of some stupid reason (our first date; KFC, yeah baby, I got swag, fellas; you may form a queue) our kisses were awkward because he was tall and I am not so, we held hands like twice and this is 3 months worth of going out so it wasn't a short thing. By the end I was so emotionally invested in trying to get rid of the awkwardness and have a proper date that when he ended it (dumped and lost a job in the same week, good week) it just tore me up. Lessons learned, dust off my shoulders, ready for round 2. Any takers?

15. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My first three were all incredibly immature and naive, and they all lasted about six months each ... thank goodness they weren't longer! I learned what to avoid, mainly, which is some very valuable information if you ask me.

16. It (generally) sounds like everyone's first relationship is a hot mess..lol xD

I wonder if there's anyone here who's first relationship went super duper smoothly?

17. Hiromix

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was 17 and the girl I dated for about 7 months was 19, and very, very sure of herself and her sexuality. She basically pulled/dragged me with her out of the closet anytime we went somewhere (somewhere far away from where I lived) and it was a very liberating relationship because it was the first time I was ever really myself with someone.
    Sadly she was very promiscuous, openly flirted with other people, and eventually cheated on me with a guy. Ouch.
    But I got over her like any girl does and moved on, looking forward to another relationship eventually but now now being single is just easier and fine by me :slight_smile: