1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help With Self-mutiliation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bryan, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Bryan

Hi-
    I don't really know where else to turn for this question, so here it goes. I have a friend with some serious issues. She is in love with my best friend and he wont give her the time of day. She burns herself over it and is anorexic; she is also sometimes suicidal. I convinced her to go the school counselor, but she wont tell the counselor any of that, because then the counselor will have to tell her parents or something like that. I really don't know what to do at this point. I cant help her my self, and she refuses to see a shrink or get any help. It took me a week to convince her to go to the counselor. I am frustrated because I don't want to tell the counselor, but I feel obliged to. Any suggestions?

2. biisme

it sounds like she needs serious help, and if she won't get it for herself, it might be best to tell the couselor. i'm sure you don't want something to happen to her and something will because burning is obviously bad, and anorexia can lead to tons of health problems. i would tell the counselor in confidence, and see if the counselor can't get it out of her, to see if she might tell it by herself.

3. KatoKumi

You need to make sure she doesn't hurt herself. It's better the sooner you can stop it. You can't force her to do anything, but you should really ask her to watch herself. Start small, just get her to keep herself open to the fact that you're only trying to help her.

...And if that doesn't work, if worst comes to worst, you gotta either tell or get out of her life completely. Because you'll end up getting hurt, and ultimately, so will she.

Uh, I think that's it.

4. ebra

you are in no way responsible for her, or her actions. you have no obligations. it sounds harsh, but it is true. you can not help her because she does not want help. simple as that, you are going to burn yourself out trying to save her. until she wakes up and realizes taht she has a problem there is nothing you can do. get away from her. i realize i sound cold hearted, but i have been both her and you....i have watched my friends, and know how hard it is to know that you can not help them, but at the same time, i know nothing you will do will matter until she hits rock bottom or sees the light so to speak. if you really want to do something for her, rat her out. you might feel like it is betraying her now, but in the long run it may be better, if she hates you for it, isnt it better to have her have a hope at getting better and hating you then being your friend?? you know what i mean? tell the counsellor and walk away. sometimes it gets better, sometimes it doesnt.good luck

5. CrimsonThunder

Tell the counselor and say you want to stay private. Although she would probably find out by that unless she tells other people..

I have no idea, you need to get her help is it worth risking your friendship? I say yes as thats what a real friend would do. :wink:

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's your duty to tell someone, as you're her friend. I mean something serious can happen and she needs some help whether she wants you to tell someone or not. It would be the best for everyone. That's the best advice I can give.

7. Vampyrecat

Okay, you have an obligation to your friend to tell the counsellor. I know she doesn't want it, but, as a person who has had my own problems to deal with, I know that getting a kick up the backside in the right direction is a wonderful feeling.

Seriously, I know you don't want to betray her, but you need to. People like her will not get better unless they have professional help. Anorexia is a horribly debilitating disease, mentally and physically, and if she is also sometimes suicidal, then it is NOT FAIR ON YOU to have to bear the weight of all her problems. You are her friend NOT her personal psychiatrist.

And also, even if she hates you for it at first, when she gets better, she'll realise that you did it for her because you care about her so much. You can still help her, but you shouldn't have to bear all her problems. I strongly advise you to go to the school counsellor and have a chat with them about your friend, and tell them most of the things she's told you. not all of them. Some of it will have been told in strictest confidence (i.e, her feelings for this guy) and she won't appreciate you telling someone else about them. Eventually, she'll start opening up to the counsellor and she'll tell him/her about her feelings about the guy, herself, why she feels so bad etc.

Keep strong. (*hug*) We're all here for you at EC.

8. Bryan

Thanks for all of your advice guys. I have been thinking a lot about it, and if something bad happened (like she killed her self) and it could have been prevented if I didn't tell the counselor, I wouldn't be able to live with my self. So, I am going to go and tell the counselor. Also, the counselor know all about the boy, so after I talk to her, she will get the situation 100%.
    Thanks alot,
    Bryan

9. Sam

Sam

yes you should tell the counselor. She might get mad at you but in time she'll realize you were just being a good friend and she might even thank you for helping her. This is probably a really hard decision but trust me you are doing the right thing even if you don't feel like it is.